Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Sightseer
NEW GoPro user in Dire Need of Help for an extensive time-lapse project

HI everyone !

I’m in need of some serious help, I’m going to be attempting to create a time lapse of an outdoor construction site over the course of 3-4 months using 1 or 2 GoPro’s (already own a GoPro 7 Black but have never used it)

I have absolutely no idea what I will need, much less how to do it properly ensuring constant power, protection, memory etc.  What I do know is that we will be mounting it, most likely on a powerline pole

( an electrician will be installing a plug in right on the pole) or the roof of our Forman trailer. ( running a power cord into the roof or extension cord)

I’ve phoned GoPro …. Three separate times with very little luck, much less confidence in what I’ll be doing. Although the support team is nice, I have some real trouble understanding them. Only to be emailed a blanket of GoPro products with zero direction on what I need (and why)  for this project to ensure the best possibility for success. Spending all this money, time, and planning for this 3 to 5 month time-lapse fail for ANY reason is not an option. :/

I’m looking for real insight from an experienced user on the exact equipment I’ll need as well as the settings. ( Lens/Format/Interval/Output/EV/balance etc etc)

Do different GoPros have different setting that may be incompatible?   I’ll be using my GoPro 7 black and possibly a GoPro 8 Black and stitching them together in postproduction, I hope?

Settings

-Lens: wide ( 16-34mm ) or linear ( 19-39mm )    wider angle for the construction site? Or will the fisheye not put out a quality shot?

If I put the camera in a 3-sided wooden box for protection ill have to make sure and not get the edges)

-Format: Photo

-Interval: 1 shot every 60 seconds? 12 hours a day, over 3-5 months?  (will a 256G card be enough? )

The interval seems very important, what do you recommend?

-Output: Standard or Raw!?  I imagine I’ll be doing the postproduction myself unless I find a professional in the middle of this pandemic.  Which Output should I use and why ?

-Scheduled Capture: I imagine I just set it to start at 6am and stop at 6 pm ? 

-Duration:  No limit?  So it will just record every day from 6am to 6pm taking one shot every minute

-Timer: off

-Zoom: off

Advanced features: This will be shooting from Dawn until Dusk, day after day for months. rain, sun overcast, dust and everything else you could imagine on a construction site in the summer.

-EV Comp: -0.5 because it will be outside in the summer sun ?

-White balance:  ?  Thoughts and/or explanation of what you recommend, keeping the above blurb on conditions in mind.    Is Native best? even if I’m not shooting in Raw format?

Most days would be sunny, Does that mean I should set the balance to 5000 K ?

-ISO MIN & MAX :  set both min and max to the same level, locking it for different lighting through out a day ?  or ? 

-Sharpness: ? please explain..  The camera will be mounted most likely a 100-400 feet or so from the project or add later in post production  ?  (keep in mind I don’t know what I’m doing in postproduction… I don’t even know what program puts all this together )

-Colour: GoPro Vs Flat in regard to the project I’ve outlined ?

General Questions and Assumptions

-What post production software do I need, does GoPro come with one that is suitable given the scope of the project ?

-Recommend Memory card? a friend said Sandisk UHS-U3/V30 A2 256GB ?   why is this good for my project? Is there one better suited?

-Power supply- Needs to be constant and stable/hard to unplug for months

-Mounting/Mounting Techniques: Should some kind of three sided weather box with a roof for further protection? but how do I mount the camera within the box keeping stability in mind?   what examples are out there on long duration time-lapse protection for the cameras?

-Do different GoPros have different setting that may be incompatible?   I’ll be using my GoPro 7 black and possibly a GoPro 8 Black and stitching them together in postproduction, I hope?

-MISC: Is there anything I’m missing from an experienced users point of view? tips, tricks, situations to watch out for ? horror stories ? Do & Don’t’s ?

I know this is alot, I'm really hoping someone from GoPro or a GoPro fan can help me out with this extensive list of questions and concerns. To anyone thinking about spending the next half hours answering all this, I wholeheartedly thank you in advance.

I'd really appreciate speaking over the phone/Zoom/Teams to discuss the various aspects of all this, but understand that may be impossible if not creepy

Cheers,

-M

Sightseer
Re: NEW GoPro user in Dire Need of Help for an extensive time-lapse project

I know this will not answer any of your listed questions but I thought I would present an alternative if this doesn't work out for you.  OxBlue is a product I have used on past construction project for time lapse photography and it worked perfectly.  It is designed for this specific application.

Good luck and I will be following along on this because there are some time lapse projects at home I would like to work on.

Thanks!

David