Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Tourist
Karma Grip Chest Mount for Hiking

While using Karma Grip with chest mount:  I'm looking for advice on how to eliminate or mitigate the slight up and down motion from my gate while hiking (other than hiking more smoothly).

I already steadied the chest mount by tightening all points.  I may also try fixing the chest mount plate to my backpack's shoulder straps for additional security.  

Anything else?  

Explorer
Re: Karma Grip Chest Mount for Hiking
You want to try and set the Grip as horizontal as possible. The extension cable makes this much easier but you can also use an extension like the three way pivot arm. Do not mount the Grip vertically. You want at least a 30 degree angle.

Also, you should try the "Follow mode". To set this, Set the stabilizer angle and then double tap the tilt angle button on the grip.
Tourist

OK, mine was definitely vertical.  

Do you have a photo or a diagram?  I'm trying to visualize what you're saying, but I'm not 100% sure. 

Explorer

I couldn't find any good pictures but if you shoot me a reminder tomorrow morning (hover your mouse over my avatar and select "send Message") and I'll take a couple photos to send you both with and without the extension cable.

In the meantime, this is as best as I could find right now.

The Grip should be held like this

maxresdefault.jpg

OR THIS

1-hKekUA8onhRKbTRYvIakBA.jpeg

Mounted something like this

A18ULf6stDL._SL1500_.jpg

THIS

KarmaGrip_ExtensionCable_PDP_8.jpg

Or THIS

hold-mount-wear.jpg

Preferably even more horizontally level

BUT NEVER LIKE THIS

gopro-karma-grip-12.jpg

AND DON'T DO THIS

gopro-karma-grip-extension-cable-11.jpg

If you don't have the extension cable you can create more space between you and the Grip by using extension arms like these

download.jpg

Tourist

OK. I did a test with it in the house at about a 30 degree angle and also verticle, but I didn't notice that much of a difference.  I think I'll need an extension though because it's kind of a tight fit the way i have it, even with the extension cable.  If you don't mind me asking, what's the rationale behind the suggestion to go horizontal?  

Highlighted
Explorer
To get the full range of motion, hold Karma Grip at flat horizontal angle (parallel to the ground) or a 45 degree angle.