Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Sightseer
Re: HERO6 + Karma grip: Tips

Hello

I have one last question to ask you. Which FOV do you advise me to spin with the Grip? because in the manual they say filming filming with a narrow fov to have a better stabilization. As I film in 2.7K I can film in linear and superview.

I often film while walking in the street for example.

« PRO TIP: The more narrow the FOV, the greater the effect of Video Stabilization. »

thanks

Adventurer
That PRO TIP is regarding in camera EIS stabilization. For the Grip, it doesn't really matter what FOV you use. When spinning (I assume you are referring to a fast circular pan), the stabilizer will slow the motion and have a bit of lag (as it's designed to do) unless you either hold down the lock button or put the stabilizer in follow mode ( Double-click the Tilt Lock [ ] button).
Highlighted
Sightseer

when I walk you advise me to lock the gimbal or put it in tracking mode? because I do not lock it. It is difficult to have a perfectly stable image while walking.

Adventurer
Yes, walking with a gimbal can be difficult. You should try both the follow mode and unlocked and see what works best for you. Technically, unlocked should hold the horizon better.
Sightseer

in fact I did not understand what it's all about to use the mode:
Stabilizer blocked
tracking mode
normal mode.
And what these modes depend on the activities that we film with the HERO6 ?

thanks

Adventurer
Locked: Allows you to adjust where the stabilizer is looking in relation to the handle and then keep that position (suppose you want it looking upward, press the lock button, adjust the handle and then release. The gimbal will keep that orientation)

Follow mode: Since the stabilizer by default tries to stay level to the horizon, if you point the gimbal up or down it wont change the direction the stabilizer is looking. Putting it in follow mode forces the gimbal to look wherever you point the handle (good for following someone in a shot or when going down/up hill and you want the camera to look to where you are going)

Normal: Keeps the horizon level and slows left/right panning.