Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Sightseer
HERO6 + Karma grip: Tips

Hello everybody !

I own a HERO6 with karma grip and I would like with tips to have a video of good quality the most stable possible. I have already done tests while walking in the street, and the video is not perfectly stable, we see the movements. I often film in 2.7K linear and I do not use protune, because I'm not a video pro and I do not want to edit afterwards. I just want beautiful and stable videos. Do you have any advice on the settings of my HERO6 or the use of Grip?

thank you,

Explorer
Re: HERO6 + Karma grip: Tips
Stabilizing while walking is difficult because there is always a slight up and down movement. You can attach the Grip to a pole on wheels (like a selfie stick mounted to a skate board) or just attempt to counter your body movement with steps with how you hold the Grip. Be sure you aren't holding the Grip with the handle vertical, it should be closer to a horizontal position. I see a lot of people holding their stabilizers incorrectly this way.

2.7K Linear is fine but you should turn on Protune for the best quality. You don't need to adjust any settings, although lowering the max ISO and putting sharpness on medium generally looks better. Protune video doesn't need editing unless you change the color profile to Flat. With GoPro color on, it's basically the same as with Protune off but you get higher quality with increased bitrate.
Sightseer

Okay, thanks for your answer. So, you advise me what settings like in protune, I have never used this mode. Knowing that I film in 2.7K50 LNR.

Explorer
If you just turn it on you will have the same settings as you do now, but with higher bitrate/quality. All of the other settings require a little knowledge of photography/videography. If you want to learn more, I suggest you research ISO, White Balance and Shutter speed. This doesn't have to be just with GoPro cameras, as the concepts are the same with any camera.

For a better understanding of your GoPro camera, I suggest starting off on Abe Kislevitz site. http://abekislevitz.com/?catid=11

Don't just read about you model, but all of the GoPro cameras. Definitely read these:

http://abekislevitz.com/gopro-hero6-black/

http://abekislevitz.com/video-settings-in-the-hero5-black/

http://abekislevitz.com/understanding-video-in-the-hero4/
Highlighted
Sightseer

Thank you very much for this website, I did not know him. He's going to teach me a lot of things, that's for sure. I will learn with that. thank you very much.

Sightseer
Why should you set Sharpening on low to get the best quality? it is not logical !
Explorer
It reduces the in camera processing. It really comes down to YOUR preferences. There are no, "Best" settings, only settings that you like best. For some, they don't like the digital processing of high sharpness. FOr others, they think it looks great and gives the video that signature GoPro look. Since you don't want to do any editing, High Sharpness is perfectly fine. If I'm sending my videos straight to social media or editing on the Quik mobile app, I use high sharpness and GoPro color. Because I like to edit and need to get the absolute best image for some of my projects, I often use Low or Medium sharpness with a Flat color profile and correct in an editor to my liking.
Sightseer

Okay, I just made some tests with different parameters. And indeed, I'm going to put the sharpness on high because I do not make any modification on a software then. I'm just editing and adding text and that's it !!