Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Nomad
Telemetry Overlay - New user-friendly program for adding gauges

This is now available for Windows and Mac.

Advanced tutorial:

App and all the info: https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/gopro-insta-dji-garmin-gpx

Happy to solve any doubts or questions you may have.

Hiker
Re: Telemetry Overlay - New user-friendly program for adding gauges

Awsome work dude!!!

Will this work with .insv files from Insta360 or do they need to be .mp4?

Will it work with 360 footage och do we have to reframe before?

Hiker

Fantastic!  Is it possible to merge multiple video files (all the chapters of a recording) and get the telemetry data for the whole recording as if it were one single continuous video?

Also one thing that might be cool is an option to export the dashboard video over a "green screen" instead of the real video (would need to be able to select exactly which color to use) in order to use the dashboard video inside another video editor such as Premiere Pro.  This way we could use Premiere Pro's tools to create transitions, color grade etc.

Hiker

Oups sorry I just found the answers to my questions on the app's page!

Nomad
Hey, thanks for your questions!

- Works with INSV and MP4?

Yes, both.

- Works with 360?

Yes, but it does not reframe, so you should either reframe first and then import the reframed video (and the original one for the data, if the reframed one lost it). Or you can export the gauges with a transparent background and add the overlay in a 360 editor.

- Exports with green screen?

Not necessary. It can export with a transparent (alpha) background. Either in ProRes 4444 or a more compressed format.

- Can it merge consecutive video files without jumps in the telemetry?

Yes. It does that automatically.
Sightseer

This looks exactly like what I have been looking for. Can you give me an estimate of how long it would take to render a 100 gig or more worth of files. Currently I'm using Dashware to merge the files together which takes about 10 to 12 hours. Then the GoPro Telemetry Extractor Premium to get the telemetry from each of the files. This has worked fine for up to 35 files. It just takes hours and hours to do. Once I get that far then I use Dashware to put the gauges in then that takes another 10 or 12 hours to render. I then use Pinnacle Studio 22 to edit the huge file down to the parts I want to keep. That usually ends up being about 75 or 80 gig. It normally takes about 2 or 3 hours to render the last file. Obviously Pinnacle is doing something much better with my computers resources. If this new program just lets me eliminate the merge that would save many hours. If it can also edit the footage without losing the data that would save even more time. Your other programs work unbelievably well. My biggest problem with the Telemeter Extractor is trying to name the files so I can drag and drop them without getting them out of order. Dashware lets you move the files up and down in its file window before you actually start the merge.
I'm spring loaded to buy this new program depending on your answers.
Thanks,
Gary

Nomad

Hi Gary,

As discussed over email I haven't yet thoroughly tested export times in a wide range of situations (nor how many files it is able to handle). Might add an estimate in future versions.

The program does not transfer the original data stream to the exported video, at it is designed as an "all-in-one" solution, data-wise. So it avoids adding complexity that way, especially considering files can be concatenated, trimmed...

And regarding file sorting. I think the current approach works works well with both old and new GoPro cameras. The old ones give different creation times to each file chapter, the new ones give them all the same creation time but can be sorted alphabetically. Of course that's not always perfect, especially if users use a different naming convention, so there is room for improvement. Maybe custom sorting as oyu mentioned.

Best regards,

Juan

Tourist

Hello Kajuna,

Can i use the exported file in my Magix Videodeluxe progra and Is there a possibility to test the program before buying it ?

Looking forward to your reply

Etienne

Nomad
Hi Etienne,

The software exports a standard video format (h264 mp4) and can also export transparent video for more professional video work. Any capable video editing software nowadays will be able to use the exported files.

There is no trial version for now. Feel free to get in touch if you have more questions.
Tourist

Very cool,

Is it possible to have a 'gauge' which is actually a synched video for a second camera?

For example a second camera with the rearview?

Nomad
Hey.

That's not possible for now. It could be in the long term, but many features are planned before that. In the meantime, you can either import a video that already has both "windows" and the telemetry data separately, or you can export your gauges to a transparent video and compose the final version in a standard video editing program.
Nomad

And here's a demo version of Telemetry Overlay

https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/telemetry-overlay-trial

Sightseer

@kajuna I'm a motiondesigner, and made this design to have a minimal HUD interface on top of GoPro mountainbike footage. Is this easy to customize to this design with your plugin?

Headup-Display
Nomad
You could achieve something similar by using minimal gauges, a GPS Path with a dark map and a bottom drawer. This tutorial shows some of those features https://youtu.be/zfaWz_uZ5as
Sightseer

Hi @kajuna , Do you have a trial period for the After Effects plugin? I'm interested to see if I can get your tools to work to this design ; 

Nomad

The AE templates do not have a trial period. There are lite versions with just a couple of gauges instead. You can find them in the product descriptions: https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/tools-for-after-effects

You will need to be very advanced in After Effects in order to modify the template to look like that. You will most likely have to tweak expressions.

In my previous answer I was explaining how to do this with the standalone Telemetry Overlay, not the AE templates.

Sightseer
aha ok, can I achieve the same look (white custom font, numbers) with the standalone TO?
Nomad

Yes. That's what I was suggesting in my previous answer:

You could achieve something similar by using minimal gauges, a GPS Path with a dark map and a bottom drawer. This tutorial shows some of those features https://youtu.be/zfaWz_uZ5as

00:00 Intro0:18 Settings (Guides, automated gauges, directories...)2:00 Project (Resolution, colors, fonts, drawers...)4:22 Project In & Out (Trim your video...
Sightseer
[ Edited ]

VERY COOL!!! just played around with it. Wondering if it possible to sync heartrate and cadence (from Wahoo Elemnt Bolt) data to custom minimal gauge? And rounded corners on edge maps? 

Nomad

What format does the Wahoo record the data to? If it's GPX Telemetry Overlay should be able to read it, sync it to the video and create minimal gauges.

Feel free to submit a sample file for analysis if that's not working.

Rounded corners are not possible for now.

I think you also asked about green screen exports before, they will be possible in the next update. For now you can export to a transparent video.