Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Sightseer
How to capture GPS tracking on GoPro

HI all, I'm sure this is a stupid newbe questions.  

If I'm out on a moutain bike ride for 2 hours and want the GPS to track my location, do I turn on the goPro ( with GPS enabled) and just leave it on?  When wanting to capture video just press the Record button on and off through the ride?  I believe the Auto Time off is set to 15 min.  Is that going to kill my tracking or should I bump that up to 2 hours?  If so, I can't see the battery lasting that long regardless if my recording is probably minimal.  Am I being unrealistic in my wants :-)

Backpacker
Re: How to capture GPS tracking on GoPro

You are allowed to want anything in the world, there's no such things as unrealistic wants.  However your expectations should be firmly grounded in reality.

Here's a video about GPS data, how to get the best results and the best practises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA5SNPXhiqU

Turning off your GoPro (letting it auto power off) and powering it back on will result in you having to wait up to 2 - 3 minutes for a GPS lock each time it powers down.  Your best option may be to rig your camera up to an external power bank and just leave it powered on.  However the best practises would be to actually preplan your journey and story board it before shooting.  Plan exactly what you want to shoot, where you want to shoot, what angles you want and where you want GPS data displayed.

In this video I discuss GoPro GPS tips and tricks and show you why you may not be getting proper GPS information on your GoPro Video's.If you have any questi...
Sightseer

This is awesome, thanks for sharing.  Good to know I"m not far off.  I gues I can plan out the trails I plan on recording and just capture that.  Any speed stickers will not show the full ride route.  I'll just focus on speed and altitude (air time) of the jumps and such.  Curious how it works.

Thanks a bunch.

Backpacker

If you want to get serious about your GPS options, then you need to have the proper tools.  I use this:

https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/telemetry-overlay-gps-video-sensors

This allows me to add multiple video files together to get a full GPS route.  It also allows me to use map overlays, access all of the sensor data recorded by the GoPro and gives me multiple options for output (GPS on video, GPS as a transparancy for using in other video editing programs).  This really is a fantastic powerful piece of software.

Explorer
All great info given here. Just to add a little advice, download the app UAV forecast. It's an app made for drones utilizing GPS. Obviously you can ignore things like wind speed/gust, but it will also give you estimated satellite lock, cloud cover, and kp index. You want a minimum of 9 est satellite lock, less than 50% cloud cover, and a kp of 4 or less (ideally 1-2).

Even if the camera is showing GPS acquisition, there is also a reliability score that the data gets. If there are not enough satellite locks, high kp, or other factors like cloud cover, large structures (buildings, trees, cliffs, water bodies) that can cause multipath propagation (signals bouncing) then you won't get good data. This will give you inaccurate data or an inability to use the Stickers option in the Quik app.
Sightseer

Thanks for the info.  I'll check out the app!

Hiker
The gopro newer models are action cameras and have GPS build in but [a] they are not that good in accuracy and [b] it is clumsy and hard to get the gps files out of the video. The gopro splits long videos (8 minute blocks) and for a 2 hour ride [c] your gopro battery is dead and if not dead you have to extract the GPS files from the video 15 times. I think the best tool for the job is a bikecomputer with gps (garmin hammerhead wazoo) or strava. But again strava is not that accurate on a phone AND offroad the trees and hills disturb the gps signal so expect some errors.