Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Nomad
Re: Hero 9 for telemetry

I've got samples from a different unit. Similar problem. In this case the only data the Hero9 recorded is labelled as inaccurate by the Fix and Precision values. The Hero8 data is perfect in the exact same conditions.

Hero8:
8.png

Hero9:
9.png

Tourist

I'm watching where this goes - The Hero 9 is my first gopro and I cannot get a decent GPS signal.  Even with it solid white, after a short recording I go to stickers in the app and it shoes the GPS only over the stickers - indicating no GPS was recorder.  I finally got one to show with the camera mounted on an RC car that goes about 20mph - the gps showed 12mph max, and hovered around 2-3 mph for sections I was going at least 15...   clear skys.  I only added the spedometer but I was going back and forth on a gravel road... maybe I should look at the positioning as well to see if it's accurate.

What Windows apps are available to get this data / gauges into a program like Resolve for editing?    I tried Dashware with the same RC car footage, and tried extracting the gps info with the Telemetry extractor... it's loads into Dashware, but the guages do not budge - maybe it doesn't recognize the hero 9 files??   

It's frustrating because as a mountain biker I was looking forward to this feature.. it's not a deal breaker for the camera, but sure is a bummer...

Nomad
There's nothing that supports Resolve for now, I would say. Both Dashware and Virb Edit will work well after exporting the data with the Extractor, but that's only if your data is good, which does not seem to be the case. You'll have to wait until GoPro fixes this, I'm afraid.
Hiker

I'm not so sure that Factory Reset doesn't help. A few years ago my Hero5 Black's GPS icon never lit up no matter how long I left it turned on and I could never get GPS data. Out of desperation I finally did a Factory Reset and it immediately fixed the problem!

Now my Hero8 Black that I've had for a year NEVER, not a single time, produced useable GPS data. A few days ago I remembered what fixed my H5B and did a Factory Reset on my Hero8 Black and did a test run for about 10 minutes. Well the GPS data was almost perfect!!! Of course I will have to test it a lot more to make sure that wasn't just a total fluke, but nevertheless it was the first time it recorded GPS data that made some sense.

Nomad
[ Edited ]

I got a new Hero 9 unit and tested its GPS capabilities alongside my 8. 

Summary:

- Some Hero 9 units perform much better than others. So there could be a hardware factor. While my first Hero9 was unusable for GPS use, this one is acceptable quite often.

- This one performed "well", but still not like the Hero 8.

- The way you mount the camera (hand-held, mounted on metal or on plastic) does not seem to have an impact on GPS performance (like it did with touchscreen sensitivity). So probably no grounding issues are involved (at least with this unit)

- Firmware versions (1.0 vs 1.22) did not make any noticeable difference.
- The 9 seems to report more bad data samples (even when the coordinates are good), but also include more extremely bad samples as valid ones.

- The 9 shows a bright white GPS icon ("GPS is ready") much earlier than the 8, even when the GPS is obviously not ready, judging by the results.

Tests (Hero 8 is always on the left, Hero 9 on the right):

The first batch of tests were hand-held. With firmware 1.0 (just unboxed, no updates) on the Hero9. I mounted the camera on different accessories (metal and plastic, which seemed to make no difference).

c28.png
- H9 is slightly worse (reports more bad locations).

a2.png

- H9 is slightly worse (reports more bad locations), but usable.

a3.png

- H9 is better! Unlike the H8, it does not randomly cross the road.

a4.png

- H9 is slightly worse (more reported bad locations and some actually bad), but usable.

Here I switch to a side-by-side mount on my motorcycle gas tank. Still 1.0 firmware.

b1.png
- H9 is unusable despite showing a "GPS ready" icon much much earlier than the H8. H9 labels bad locations as good. H8 is average but usable.

b2.png
- H9 is slightly worse (more bad locations and some good ones reported as bad), but close to usable.

b3.png

- H9 and H8 are both good.

b4.png
- H9 is slightly worse (reports more bad locations) but close to usable.

b5.png
- H9 is unusable when crossing under a bridge. H8 is great despite that.

b6.png
- H9 is slightly worse under challenging conditions (narrow streets). But ok all things considered

Here I update the Hero 9 to firmware 1.22. Still motorcycle mount.
c1.png
- Both good. H9 very marginally worse (reports some bad locations).

c2.png
- H9 is slightly worse (reports some good locations as bad). But usable.

c3.png
- H9 is slightly worse (reports some good locations as bad). But usable.

c4.png
- H9 gets confused under bridges again, but not by much. Close to usable.

I have not included clips where both cameras were unusable due to bad conditions (buildings, foliage...). There were no instances where the H9 was usable and the H8 was not.

Ok, so I'm keeping this Hero 9 (and the 8), but looking forward to firmware improvements!

Sightseer

Hi @kajuna , 

First let me say I'm amazed by your product  πŸ‘ I was super excited to start testing it with a bunch of clips I recorded with my new Hero9 riding my cafe racer, just to find out the GPS data on the clips is useless, not even one of them is Okeyis... which is quite a bummer. 

Here are some screenshots done with your tool:

Fail 1

-

First clip, I assume the route is Okeish at that tiny bit in the beegining, but then it goes nuts at the end what makes it useless.

---------

Fail 2.png

-

Second attemp, This one is completely wrong, there's not even a road there.

---------

Close.png

-

Thirdt clip, this one isn't that bad. Actually the entire route looks pretty good just until the end, when again it goes crazy. I'm gonna try to make something usefull with this file.

---------

________ EXTRA

This is the second GoPro Hero 9 I own.  I lost the 1st one right one week after buying it while kitesurfing in Tarifa πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ. It must be somewhere in the atlantic ocean at the moment... However, as I read the entire thread I saw you mentioned there is some cameras that are doing fine with GPS data, then I thought wait a second... let's try with some footage from my 1st Hero9... and boila!! The GPS route is represented very accurately, here is it:

Good.png

So.. I guess this confirm what you already mentioned, there is some faulty camras and some other doing a decent job. I hope this helps you with your findings.

Do you have any updates on the topic? Do you think it's a good idea to ask GoPro for a replacement camera or wait until they publish a fix or something?

Looking forward to properly test your software with my videos!! Looks awesome!

Nomad
Hey. Thanks. That's a very useful example. And glad you like the software!

GoPro have scheduled an update that should fix or improve the GPS issues for later this month https://gopro.com/en/us/news/hero9-black-launch-updates

Given that, I suspect they might not replace a camera for this reason until after the firmware is released (but I don't know for sure). Will be interesting to see how the faulty cameras compare with the good ones after the update.

I might replace mine at some point, since the touchscreen issues are not gone with the new firmware (seems like a grounding problem). But for now GPS is more important to me.
Sightseer
[ Edited ]

Thanks for the update @kajuna, lets hope it gets fixed with the firmware update πŸ™

I just saw your post about your new app for Windows and Mac. Really looking forward to test it, though I need the source files to be decent before making the expense. Dude these guys from GoPro should hire you to put their **bleep** together in terms of telemetry/GPS stuff!! 

Will be back once the firmware update is readyb and I get to test it.