Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted
Nomad
Re: Hero 8 / GoPro Max Telemetry

Hi

So unexploitable...

Just pass under a tree and path gets anarchy, speed peak climbs to 24000km/h, same with altitude... so pass between 2 buildings after 3 hours on the road and all the path go into the trash.

Accelerometer and gyroscope return "unkown error".

Try to show data doesn't work with Firefox, it crashes tab.

Highlighted
Nomad
Hi @sylkgx , I will have a look at those two last errors. Could you send me a sample file to app@prototyping.barcelona to test it? A .LRV file is fine too if you keep them.

Regarding location going crazy, does playing with precision and fix not help filter out those data?
Highlighted
Tourist

Tall buildings can cause you to lose GPS lock, however Gyro and Accelerometer data shouldn't be affected.

Perhaps it's a hardware issue. You should try to get a replacement.

@kajuna might be able to help you get proof that the unit is faulty

Highlighted
Nomad

@kajuna 

Playing with precision refine path where signal is ok but doesn't fix speed and altitude where the signal was "lost" or "not sufficient".

Even where signal is ok, Altitude does not faithful; Start point (higher) and arrival (lower) looks good but between it is just a yoyo, where each meter of the road should be lower than previous, but on the graph no. See pic.

No LRV, so i'll redo a run and send you it ASAP.

At least one good point: Firefox issue seems to be fixed.

Are you sure the Hero8 still have Accelero and Gyro onboard??

TelemetryOfAnarchy.JPG

Highlighted
Nomad
I see some interesting things to note here.

GPS based altitude is not very reliable. That's why drones use barometers instead. Some drift or error is expected.

The Hero 8 does have accel and gyro. From the symptoms you describe, I suspect you are facing performance issues that end in a soft crash either in your browser or in my server.

The server limitations can be overcome with the offline version of the app, but if your browser is crashing (it looks like so from the data visualization issues) too, there's nothing guaranteed. How big is your video file? I have seen crashes on gyro streams of the GoPro Fusion footage (which are way larger than anything else, maybe Max's are similar). But most data rates on the H8 should be similar to the 7 (or the 5 really).

I have an app in mind that would improve the GPS location data by interpolating missing values, asking the user which sections look right or wrong, setting offsets... I might develop that next year depending on how things go.
Highlighted
Nomad

"Speed of light, i'm coming!!"

My last footage... so ridiculous values... not a meter is exploitable on this roadrun.

From the abyss with my little Clio!!

CloseToSpeedOfLight.PNG

I'll send you the cloud link to dl this footage.

Highlighted
Nomad

@kajuna wrote:
How big is your video file?

Various. And how big is video file supposed to be to include accelero and gyro? Hero8 splits files to 4GiB so can't be more than that.

Highlighted
Nomad

The reason I was asking is that crashes can happen easier with large files. But anyway, the problem is that last weeks firmware update introduced changes in the way telemetry is stored, including some tricky ones. I have just updated my online tool and now it does not crash with your footage.

Regarding GPS data, I see your video was filmed from inside the car, under the roof. Unfortunately you cannot expect good results there. The GoPro does not have a cellular antenna to complement the GPS data with land-based data, so you should either put it under the windshield, or outside for good results.