Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Nomad
GoPro Telemetry Resources (software)
[ Edited ]

Here's a list of products you can use to read, visualize and convert GoPro metadata depending on your purpose. Please submit additional items in the comments if you want them added to the list.

User friendly

• GoPro App Desktop / Android / iOS (Free) - Official editing tool. Can visualize some of the metadata, although many users have reported problems.
  • Telemetry Overlay Windows / macOS (PaidTrial) - Add customizable gauges to GoPro (and other cameras) videos
  • GoPro Telemetry Extractor (Free/Premium) - Extract, visualize and convert any data stream (sensor) to other formats.
  • GoPro GPS Quick Fix (Paid) - Modifies your video files to enable gauges / performance stickers in GoPro Quik.
  • Virb Edit (Free) - Overlay nice gauges on videos. GPS data must be converted to GPX first.
  • Dashware (Free) - Combine video and gauges. Data must be converted to compatible formats first.
  • Serious Racing (Free) - Online lap timer. Reads GPS data.
  • Race Technology (Paid) - Offline lap timer and other sensor data.
  • Drone Viewer (Paid) - Reads and displays GPS data alonside the video.
  • Race Render (Trial/Paid) - Offline lap timer. GPS data must be converted to GPX first.
  • After Effects Telemetry template (Lite/Paid) - Customizable After Effects overlay for visualizing multiple data streams.
  • Lap Analyser (Free) - Gets lap times, forces and angles from motorsports footage (cars/motorcycles)
  • The Video Map (Free) - Watch your youtube videos alongside a location map
  • Map the Paths Uploader - Put your images and video “on the map”

For developers

• gopro-telemetry - JavaScript tools for extracting any data stream.
  • gpmf-parser - C++ sample project and documentation on the GoPro Metadata Format.
  • gopro-utils - GoLang tools for extracting some of the data streams, plus batch tool for automating the process on Windows.
  • gopro2gpx - Python tool for converting the GPS data into GPX.
  • gpmf-extract - JavaScript tool for extracting the binary data from the mp4 when ffmpeg is not available.
Sightseer
Re: GoPro Telemetry Resources (software)
thank you very much.
I will try them
best regard
Tourist
[ Edited ]

Thanks for the list. I tried the software but still couldn't find a solution. If you have another idea, please let me know. My answers in bold:

Tourist
Okay as I cannot edit my post anymore. I found GoPro Temeletry Extractor at a different link that can convert to gpx.
https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/

So I will go on with dashware. Editing gauges is a bit annoying and the rendering time is really long but better than nothing.

RaceRender has a watermark in free version so also not usable if you don't want to pay for GoPro's Apple addictions (yes part of it).
Sightseer

I purchased a GoPro Hero 8 from Costco a few weeks ago and I'm having nothing but trouble pulling GPS stats from videos with the Quik software. I'm glad Costco has a good return policy.

Tourist

@schizamp wrote:

I purchased a GoPro Hero 8 from Costco a few weeks ago and I'm having nothing but trouble pulling GPS stats from videos with the Quik software. I'm glad Costco has a good return policy.

This issue is not with the camera but rather it is with the Quik software. 

The QUIK software does not directly support the telemetry format from the Hero 8 camera. 

If you have the GPS turned on (See page 85 of the manual) and have a good view of the sky when recording, you should see the location icon shown in white.  There are a number of threads here on the Community support page, including this thread, that explain how to verify that you are getting GPS data recorded to the mp4 video files.  The one I use is called the GoPro Telemetry Extractor Lite, found at https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free.  This web based program will read the metadata (telemetry) track from the video and then extract the data you request, displaying it in graphical format or allowing the user to download the csv file of the data.

There is also a paid program, "GoPro GPS Quick Fix" (see message 1 in this thread) that can update the metadata track to make the Hero8 MP4 file metadata compatible with the Quik program.

Hiker
Tourist

Or, the argument could be made that the camera does not function properly in recording the telemetry data to the video.

The message on the Quik app states that "Gauges are only available for videos captured with the Karma drone, or HERO5 and newer cameras with GPS turned on.".  The HERO8 and HERO9 are newer cameras, so if they don't work with Quik, it is because they aren't working properly.

Nomad
Quik hasn't been updated in 2 years, its also discontinued software. So it will never support the hero 8 or hero 9 camera as they are newer than quik and record gps data in an entirely different format.
Tourist

I am new to gopro and wish to export files to Rouvy Virualtraining Editor. How do you do it. I have a Hero 7 Black with the GPS on.  What are the resulting GPS file and Video file extentions needed?

Nomad
I think Rouvy supports the telemetry in GoPro files, at least to some extent. I know it does not support merging the data of consecutive files, or at least it didn't a while ago, so some users are merging the data with other tools and then uploading the extracted files (GPX, I guess) to Rouvy
Sightseer

I purchased the GPS Quick Fix for GoPro.

Instead, I should have bought the GoPro Telemetry Overlay.

Do you have an upgrade price for the GoPro Telemetry Overlay?

Nomad

Hey @howardh03137 

Send me an email and we'll find a solution. You can just reply to the GPS Quick Fix confirmation email.

Thanks

Sightseer
hhexum@gmail.com
Sightseer

For anyone using GoPro Telemetry Overlay, can you share your experience in using this software in place of Dashware? I need GPS and  Accelerometer overlay primarily and have not found any other tool that looks capable.

Nomad
I'm biased as I created it, but in this playlist you can find plenty of videos from users. Maybe you can ask them in the comments: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgoeWSWqXedLOd5-rBX-IQanops67qO_x
Nomad

I'm not actually sure Dashware will work that well any more.  It's very old software, it was bought by GoPro ages ago and is no longer updated as far as I remember.

GoPro Telemetry Overlay strikes me as being very friendly and easy to use software.  You can do very advanced things with it or just simply import your footage and have gauges displayed easily.  You can also drag your gauges around, resize them and change colors etc.  Honestly, I think it's the best GPS software available for the GoPro right now and it has the huge advantage of being up to date and supported by the creator.  So if you ever have issues, the creator gets back to you and helps solve them.  That's worth the price alone!

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Sightseer
[ Edited ]

Thanks @kajuna and @irishmanpdx .

Kajuna, I sent you a private message with more questions about your softwares, licences, etc. if you could please check that and get back to me. Thanks.

Hiker
May I have a coupon code? dalang0106@hotmail.com thanks in advance.
Hiker

@kajuna , May I have a coupon code? dalang0106@hotmail.com thanks in advance.

Sightseer

Do you have a software suggestion for Ubuntu ? Or at least Wine ?

Sightseer

+ could you send me a coupon for telemetry overlay please ( in case it is compatible with Wine )

Nomad
Not sure it will work with Wine. Will send you a PM
Tourist

@kajuna , May I have a coupon code? perciodechiara@gmail.com, I use gopro hero8 black. tks

Tourist

Hi could I please code to

Telemetry Overlay??

regards

tom-lotnik@o2.pl

Sightseer

Thanks @kajuna and @irishmanpdx .

Kajuna,

Hi could I please code to

Telemetry Overlay??

regards

jls@tie.cl

Sightseer

Hey @kajuna,

Are there any coupon codes available or is there a trial version available for the "overlay"? I would definitely spend the money if I could try the software first.

Thanks,

Adrian

Sightseer

Hello @kajuna:

Could you pls send me a coupon code

TIA

Sean

da_mallet@hotmail.com

Sightseer

Hi @kajuna,

Can I please have a coupon code.

sp@trixracing.co.za

Thanks!

Sightseer
Could I get a code for telemetry overlay?
mtnt007@netscape.net
Sightseer

@kajuna , I'm new to the group and GoPro world and I reseaching I found that Telemetry Overlay will work for me. May I have a coupon code? daniel@studiodekllc.com. Thank you very much!!

Sightseer

Bug not fixed after more than 1 year? Unbelievable... 

Tourist

This is a bloody joke! I bought a camera and I expect it to have functional software for the features I paid money for!

This is totally unacceptable, shame on you

Nomad

What bug?  GoPro supply Android and iOS software that allows people to have basic GPS stickers on their footage.  They do not have any current desktop software to do this.  The last software they had was Quik for desktop which is over 3 years old at this point.  It is officially discontinued, unsupported legacy software at this point.  The last camera it fully supported was the GoPro Hero 7.  It will not support the GoPro Hero 8 or GoPro Hero 9 as both of these camera's record the GPS data in a different format.  There is no "bug".  

Nomad

Shame on who?  You may want to direct your comments somewhere specific as this is a forum being used by members of the public, so random insults aren't helpful.

Tourist

GPS is not working on windows app, and that is a joke.What can you not understand? I don't care about mobile phone apps, I use my desktop and the app is not working when it comes to telemetry data. Got it? Saying that it is officialy discontined adds insult to injury

Tourist

Shame on the company obviously for its broken app and additional shame on it because I get send here to find support instead of having a proper customer relations department.

Sightseer

You can tell a lot about a company by the decisions they make and whether they favour the company or the customer.

Not having a PC based tool for processing video is a decision that only benefits the company and was probably made for the wrong reasons.  I picture a board meeting, with some suits sitting around a large wooden table...

"We need to optimize our work flow and lower our costs to raise shareholder value"

"Good point Stan"

"But how, we have teams fully engaged in development of the PC app and the portable devices apps?"

"I know, lets dump the PC development, only 50% of our customers use that"

"Fantastic idea Dave!"

"Moreover, we can force the phone users to subscribe to our ackward cloud based system and charge cloud storage fees forever!"

"--bleep-- Dave, you're on fire!"

"But what about the customers who want to use powerful PC's? Won't they be pissed when they find they have to use their phones?"

"Screw em!"

"Dave, you crack me up!"

"Fat bonuses for all of us!"

"Hurray!  Lets go fire some staff!"

Nomad

I understand just fine what "discontinued software" means.  It's the same reason you're not trying to run Adobe Premier Pro on Windows 3.1   Why?  It won't work.  Why?  Because Windows 3.1 is outdated, unsupported, discontinued software.  

Quik for desktop was terrible terrible terrible software only used by people who have no idea how to edit video.  It was a drag and drop video editor that was prone to crashing and not working and required update after update just to get it to function.  Window's Movie Maker was better video editing software than Quik for crying out loud.  

The last camera Quik fully supported was the GoPro Hero 7.  Even then, Quik hadn't been updated in quite some time before the 7 was released.The GoPro Hero 8 and 9 use different GPS formats and were created AFTER Quik had it's last update.  This is why Quik does not support them and never will for the foreseeable future. (Even when Quik was available for download, it clearly stated it would not support the Hero 8 GPS functions).

GoPro didn't waste time or resources with Quik due to the fact that there was so much competition readily available out there from mediorcre video editors to professional editors.  Why continue to spend time and money (when the company was losing money hand over fist) on a video editor that most people didn't use and those that did spent time complaining about the constant crashes?  

But dont fret, for those that refuse to let go of Quik and think it's an actual "video editor" there is good news coming from you.  At the last investors relations meeting, Nick Woodman did mention that they were looking into starting up Quik for desktop developement again.  Why?  To ensure that it works the same way the app does, and they can have a "Free" and a "Premium" version for users.  In other words, the only way Quik for desktop will become available again is if GoPro figure they can make money from it by selling more subscriptions.  

Explorer
What? A company trying to make money?!!! Scandalous!

I'm an impetulant angry little man who wants things done MY WAY and I DON'T WANT TO PAY MONEY FOR IT!!!!

Offer me solutions?

Mobile? That thing that most users want, need, request, and use?

NO! MY WAY MY WAY MY WAY!!!!!

And don't think that I won't stop pounding on the table and holding my breath until I turn blue!
Nomad

Actually best advice ever!  I don't know why I didn't think of that!

Quik for Desktop users, pay attention.  Quik WILL be returning!  All you have to do is hold your breath....... and keep holding it........... and keep holding...... the longer you hold it, the QUIKer (pardon the pun) it will return!

All content found in this post, including: text, images, audio, or other formats were created for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or over long periods of breath holding. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website. Holding your breath is not recommended nor will it actually speed up the production of Quik for desktop. If you start turning blue, seek medical advice immediately. If you think holding your breath for long periods of time to speed up the return of Quik for desktop is a good idea, seek psychological advice as soon as possible.  If you can't take a joke, get off line and stop using the internet, most of what you find on the internet is a complete joke anyway as are many of the users.

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor, go to the emergency department, or call 911 immediately. GoPro does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on this support forum. Reliance on any information provided by GoPro employees, contracted writers, trolls on the internet or medical professionals presenting content for publication to GoPro support forums is solely at your own risk.  In other words, there should be a minimum of thinking involved in your life as to what a "good idea" represents.  If you do something "because you saw it being done on the internet" you probably shouldn't be allowed to have a pc or internet access.  The last words on your gravestone should not be "this is going to get me a million hits on YouTube!"

The Site may contain health- or medical-related materials or discussions regarding sexually explicit disease states. If you find these materials offensive, you may not want to use our Site. The Site and its Content are provided on an "as is" basis. So when you're told to go stick it where the sun doesn't shine, it really shouldn't be considered medical advice, just hillarious advice.  Holding your breath for long periods of time may result in "papa smurf" syndrome or "the reason why I got fired as a lifeguard" syndrome.  Stomping your feet excessively while complaining may result in a tilting of the worlds axis by up to 5 degree's resulting in longer period of summer, drought, increased temperatures and global warming you murdering sods (according to the weekly world news which is the only place for real fake news).  Please take the time to grow the hell up and stop acting like a giant manchild, everyone would appreciate this.  If reading this disclaimer, please do so at an impossibly fast speed that is just slow enough to meet the federal standards while being impossible for the average everyday person to actually understand.  Also record yourself doing it, upload it to youtube and post the link here.  I'll personally ask GoPro to give a prize to the person who does the best job.  GoPro will of course not agree to do this but since I've nothing to lose by asking, we may as well give it a go.  

Sightseer

If you are of the mind that it is reasonable for an action camera company that has telemetry data/stickers, that can film for hours, and that has always had desktop software, would suddenly drop the most useful and powerful way of doing so, in favour of a very lame way which is to use a phone with no real processing power and limited storage, which coincidently is not advertised, and coincidently pushes you into ALSO buying a subscription to their closed and limited cloud service, then we view the world differently.

At issue here is not whether they are ALLOWED to do what they want, but whether it is a GOOD thing to do for the customers.

And me personally, I would side with the people spending the money any day over a somewhat dirty trick a company is doing to keep itself afloat

They changed the formula, kinda hid this change, and now people who are long standing supporters/users or the product are finding that the new toy they bought is severely crippled and that they have to find a new work flow and pay money to fill the gap.

I don't want GoPro to go out of business, but this is not a charity.  

As I see the world, businesses and products are here to meet OUR needs, not for us to meet THEIR needs.  Get the order right.

Tourist

Currently gopro is a cam sold as a premium product and priced as a premium product but without the basic software support and that's a shame. I regret buying a gopro and the next action camera will definitely be from another brand.
- gopro does not have an official desktop software
- gopro has a bad app that duplicates data multiple times, that works with videos up to a few seconds (or few minutes if you have an high end phone) but is unusable with big and high quality videos, for example an 8 min / 4k clip
Some important functions like GPS gauges are difficult to use or unusable.

Sightseer

There is definitely an issue.  Call it a bug, or call it something else.

I purchased a GoPro Hero 9.

I recorded a clip (a long one).  I used the Quik app on Android, and it imported the clip fine, but there was no option to add stickers.

Using the GitHub - NetworkAndSoftware/gopro2gpx: A tool to extract GPX files from GoPro videos. Supports chapt... tool I can see that the file does include the GPS data, and yet no option to add stickers from Android app.

Nomad

@syrup1971 Is the data you found accurate? If it's not Quik for Android might be just ruling it out.

Sightseer

It appears to be accurate, it certainly shows the route I cycled

Screenshot 2021-06-08 084619.png

Nomad

Right. Sometimes the data is labelled as beeing inaccurate even if it isn't, which could be the reason Quik is rejecting it. Or it could just be another bug in Quik as you suggested.

Is there a reason you want to use Quik instead of the alternatives?

Sightseer

Ideally I'd like to be able to post videos "on-the-go" so only using my phone and gopro.  I can download and post without guages, but would like to have the GPS info.

Is there an alternative Android app that would permit this that anyone knows of?

Thanks for your help by the way.

Nomad
Nomad

@syrup1971 So when you say there are no options to add stickers on your mobile device.  Are you saying the GPS stickers are greyed out (not allowing you to add them) or that you can't find the option to add GPS stickers?