09-18-2019 09:23 AM - edited 07-19-2020 09:29 AM
Here's a list of products you can use to read, visualize and convert GoPro metadata depending on your purpose. Please submit additional items in the comments if you want them added to the list.
- GoPro App Desktop / Android / iOS (Free) - Official editing tool. Can visualize some of the metadata, although many users have reported problems.
- GoPro Telemetry Extractor (Free/Premium) - Extract, visualize and convert any data stream (sensor) to other formats.
- GoPro GPS Quick Fix (Paid) - Modifies your video files to enable gauges / performance stickers in GoPro Quik.
- Virb Edit (Free) - Overlay nice gauges on videos. GPS data must be converted to GPX first.
- Dashware (Free) - Combine video and gauges. Data must be converted to compatible formats first.
- Serious Racing (Free) - Online lap timer. Reads GPS data.
- Race Technology (Paid) - Offline lap timer and other sensor data.
- Drone Viewer (Paid) - Reads and displays GPS data alonside the video.
- Race Render (Trial/Paid) - Offline lap timer. GPS data must be converted to GPX first.
- After Effects Telemetry template (Lite/Paid) - Customizable After Effects overlay for visualizing multiple data streams.
- Lap Analyser (Free) - Gets lap times, forces and angles from motorsports footage (cars/motorcycles)
- The Video Map (Free) - Watch your youtube videos alongside a location map
- gpmf-parser - C++ sample project and documentation on the GoPro Metadata Format.
- gopro-utils - GoLang tools for extracting some of the data streams, plus batch tool for automating the process on Windows.
- gopro2gpx - Python tool for converting the GPS data into GPX.
06-27-2020 03:48 PM - edited 06-27-2020 03:50 PM
Thanks for the list. I tried the software but still couldn't find a solution. If you have another idea, please let me know. My answers in bold:
- GoPro Quik Desktop / Android / iOS (Free): Desktop version not compatible with Hero8, Android no full resolution availalbe, iOS ?
- GoPro Telemetry Extractor (Free/Premium)- Where is the free version?
- GoPro GPS Quick Fix (Paid) - Paying $49 for a bug Gopro does not want to fix? Really???
- Virb Edit (Free) - Which software can convert to GPX?.
- Dashware (Free) - Which software can convert to compatible formats?
- Serious Racing (Free) - Only special usage, account necessary
- Race Technology (Paid) -Paying for a bug Gopro does not want to fix?
- Drone Viewer (Paid) - Paying for a bug Gopro does not want to fix?
- Race Render (Free) - Which software can convert to GPX?
- After Effects Telemetry template (Free/Paid) - After effects creazy expensive and complicated.
- Lap Analyser (Free) - Online tool not usable for large or private files, only a few options.
on 06-27-2020 05:00 PM
So I will go on with dashware. Editing gauges is a bit annoying and the rendering time is really long but better than nothing.
RaceRender has a watermark in free version so also not usable if you don't want to pay for GoPro's Apple addictions (yes part of it).
2 weeks ago
I purchased a GoPro Hero 8 from Costco a few weeks ago and I'm having nothing but trouble pulling GPS stats from videos with the Quik software. I'm glad Costco has a good return policy.
This issue is not with the camera but rather it is with the Quik software.
The QUIK software does not directly support the telemetry format from the Hero 8 camera.
If you have the GPS turned on (See page 85 of the manual) and have a good view of the sky when recording, you should see the location icon shown in white. There are a number of threads here on the Community support page, including this thread, that explain how to verify that you are getting GPS data recorded to the mp4 video files. The one I use is called the GoPro Telemetry Extractor Lite, found at https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free. This web based program will read the metadata (telemetry) track from the video and then extract the data you request, displaying it in graphical format or allowing the user to download the csv file of the data.
There is also a paid program, "GoPro GPS Quick Fix" (see message 1 in this thread) that can update the metadata track to make the Hero8 MP4 file metadata compatible with the Quik program.