Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted
Sightseer
GoPro Max GPS Not Working

Hello,

I am trying to get my GoPro Max to work with GPS.

1. GPS is turned on on the Max
  2. Max is NOT in 360 mode
  3. GPS icon in the GoPro app shows up on my Cell Phone but doesn't on my GoPro
  4. My app will not allow me to set up gauges (tried on Android and iPhone)
  5. I plugged the GoPro into my computer and it will not allow to put gauges through the Quik app either. It is asking for GPS signal to show the gauges or stickers.
  6. I factory reset the device.
  7. Checked for updates
  8. Went outside and pointed it up to the sky for 5-10 mins and it still did not work.

What is the whole point of the GPS if it is not wanting to work? Also, my cell phone can retrieve GPS indoors, why is the GoPro Max having such horrible time?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Sightseer
Re: GoPro Max GPS Not Working
You might need to call GoPro for a replacement.

But I can answer why it doesn’t work
indoors the way your phone does: it’s because your phone uses Assisted GPS (using the cellphone towers) to get a fix.

Having said that, GoPro GPS quality is unfortunately just awful. (I curse out my Black 7 on a regular basis)

Hopefully you can get a replacement quickly which then works fine.
Highlighted
Sightseer

I really hope you are right.

I double checked both application and GPS and they do have GPS signal. I am saying "do" with a very sarcastic voice.

I have been working on this for about 2 hours or so and I have went outside, inside, took about 15 videos, and etc and it still didnt work for me. I am going to plug it into my computer one last time and see if it retrieved any GPS data. If it did not, then I am contacting GoPro to get a replacement.

Thank you for your help.

Highlighted
Hiker
I have been having the same problem with my GoPro Hero7 Black ever since I purchased it. GoPro has replaced it on July 23, 2019. My dialog with GoPro concerning GPS started in August 2018. At that time my Hero5 GPS worked, the GPS on both my Hero6 Black and Hero7 Black did not work. At that time I had continuing conversations with various supervisors and tech support personnel about the GPS problems. At that time I sent them screenshots, video clips from the Hero5, Hero6 Black and Hero7 Black showing the GPS problem. Since July 2019 the problem continues. I agree that the problem seems to be the technical specs of the GoPro GPS processor. Currently GoPro's response has been "we're working on the problem, but have no expected completion date" and for me to use other video software, which I have used with the same GPS problem. In addition of my iPhone's GPS, I use a Polar Cycle computer with GPS capabilities. Both the iPhone and the Polar GPS work at the same time the GoPro Hero7 Black's GPS does not work. I would suggest not expecting a replacement to work properly with GPS, nor for a fix for the GPS problem to come from GoPro.
Highlighted
Explorer
Be sure to check the video for GPS using the member created GPS telemetry Extractor.https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/

My understanding is that GoPro raised the sensitivity for GPS data on the app too prevent displaying bad data. Unfortunately, it's now too high and often no GPS gets displayed, even when captured. It has been mentioned by GoPro that they are working on this and it should be corrected in a future app update.

To improve GPS, be sure to wait at least one full minute after the GPS indicator on the camera turns bright (not saying gray) BEFORE pressing record.
Highlighted
Hiker

I only can confirm your feedback. The GoPro GPS capabilities are poor. I myself developed the web service for interactive video presentation of routes. One of the service elements is the tooling to extract the GPS data out of GoPro videos. What I found out is that very often the GPS data is totally corrupted - like jumps every second by 100 km. Of course when I reported it to GoPro the usual reasoning starts - it is the problem with your SD card, even if you card is present on the list of the suppoerted card the card degrade over time (3 months), have you performed the card reset from the computer, have you performed the card reset from the GoPro menu, have you performed manual firmware upgrade, one proof is not enough - provide us with the 2nd proof etc.

https://trassy.pl/syncloc

Highlighted
Hiker
[ Edited ]

To follow-up on my comments/experience and the responses to my comments. The Hero6 Black and the Hero7 Black when they have GPS data that the GoPro software displays it is wildly wrong. I have done manual updates of the firmware on both cameras, Manually upgraded the software apps, and confirmed I'm running the latest version of both. Since this past summer/fall GoPro Studio has been removed and some of those features have been included in the most recent version of Quik. I have a standing case number with a promise to keep me updated on the progress on this problem. I have NEVER received an update, unless I call GoPro. Unfortunately, I suspect GoPro will not correct this problem. From all the problem solving I've done, testing I've done and conversations with senior support personnel at GoPro, they are aware of the problem and I suspect they are not working on fixing the problem. I have been working in the Computer field since 1976 and was Chief Security officer and Chief Information Officer for a brokerage firm on Wall Street for 30 years. I've worked with programmers and hardware and software companies for years. The business problem in my opinion is that GoPro is a relatively small company and the cost of upgrading the GPS hardware and GPS firmware is expensive and GoPro doesn't have enough influence with their vendors and GoPro doesn't want to invest the money in upgrading their GPS capability. I have six GoPro Hero cameras and every accessory they make (as well as third party accessories). I'm a loyal and good customer of GoPro's. The one thing I can't explain (or justify) is why I'm still a GoPro customer. BTW, the app developed and discussed on this forum apparently works extremely well, from what I've read, but I use a MacBook Pro and can't use it. Good Luck and if anyone eventually has success with GoPro's GPS PLEASE post it here, even if means purchasing a Hero8 Black.

I've provided everything GoPro has requested, performed all the tests they requested, sent them everything they've asked for, including my Hero7 Black. I feel bad for the support and tech people I've spoke and worked with, they are in an impossible position. They are intimately aware and familiar with the GPS problem, but are unalbe to initiate a fix.

Highlighted
Nomad

In my experience, the GoPro Fusion provided by far the most reliable GPS results. So I was expecting the Max to be pretty good too.

@torih432 , You talk about gauges, so I'm assuming you're using GoPro software. Does the GPS signal show up in other software? For instance, here: https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free

If you are using Quik desktop (mac or Windows), there is a known compatibility issue with the new cameras (Hero8 and Max), so maybe the problem lies not in the camera but in the software. A user posted a fix for Windows: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Desktop/Hero-8-Black-GPS-data-is-present-in-files-but-...

I'm not familiar with the Max's screen UI, but I would assume you'd have to see a white GPS icon somewhere if the GPS was seeing satellites. On the GoPro app, you'll see a white pin even when the GPS has no signal, as long as the setting is on.

If you want, you can send me one of your files for analysis to app@prototyping.barcelona. You might have .LRV files alongside your MP4s, those are smaller but contain the same metadata, so are more convenient for sending over the Internet.