Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Tourist
Re: Extracting the GPS information and importing it into Google Earth

@kajuna

Google Earth seems to do a good job at providing reasonably accurate elevation data using the gpx imported file. As you point out, one can correct data in the csv file, but the easiest is to use GPSU.

Thanks for replying about multiple files.

Multiple files can also be handled in:

1. Dashware by clicking on the merge button >> instead of the + button. A merged csv file is created.

2. RaceRender recognizes them automatically, asks, then merges into one file. The exported gpx file will be the merged information.

3. GPSU by selecting File, Merge files, from the menu and selecting each of the individual gpx files.

I have used my GoPro on some walks with multiple files, but they were created by starting and stopping the camera at various points (rest points or viewpoints) along the way. The files were merged as above, except for RaceRender in which they first had to be imported and then joined. Worked well.

My only problems have been the distance and elevation information, which, as I pointed out in my other post and above, can be handled by smoothing the data (reducing the number of points, mainly those that have sudden deviations from what looks like the track), and using Google Earth.

There is one last problem that I asked about in another thread, that of identifying Hilight points. It would be helpful if GoPro would tell us how to do this....other than listening to the video recording and locating where in the video one says "GoPro Hilight."

Again, thanks for your replies and assistance.

Nomad
Re: Extracting the GPS information and importing it into Google Earth

@jcbvideos Yeah. The highlight tags are saved somewhere else. Devs have worked on detecting them, but I don't know that there's a user-friendly way of detecting them.

https://github.com/noahsw/highlight-hunter

Sightseer
Re: Extracting the metadata in a useful format

I spent a couple of hours trying to get gpmd2csv to work.  I followed kajuna's steps.  Yet when I drag a GoPro MP4 file to gpmd2csv I get file not found errors (e.g., Windows cannot find '.\bin\ffmeg''; same thing for gpmd2.csv and a host of others).   I created the directories as indicated and put the needed folders in such directories as indicated.  Any suggestions?  

Thanks!

Nomad
Are you using the pre-built tool ( http://tailorandwayne.com/gpmd2csv ) or building it yourself?

Did you place your video files in the same folder as the tool?
Sightseer

Ahhh, that explains it.  I was mixing apples & oranges (doing the build & using the pre-built tool).  Once I used just the pre-built tool, all worked.  Thanks for quick and helpful response!

Sightseer
[ Edited ]

I spoke to soon.  I no longer get file not found errors, but when I drop the GoPro MP4, THM, and LRV files (I've also tried only dropping in the MP4 file) into GPMD2CSV, and then I load the MP4 and resulant GPX file into VIRB Edit, the GPX file comes up in the Google Maps section as a route traversing the Atlantic Ocean??

FYI, when the bat file is running, I get hundreds of reports of "Could not find label in list: ALLD (414c4c44)"

Nomad
The warning is to be expected, as we cannot read all the available data. That's fine.

Are you using the latest bundle of the gpmd2csv tool? It should filter out most of those bad locations. Could you upload the exported files (or the .bin files) for me to have a look?
Sightseer
[ Edited ]

Files were too large to load, so I made a short test.  But this worked!   Let me experiment some more.  Thanks!