Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted
Nomad
Re: Extracting the metadata in a useful format

Thanks for your help, @meshala2383 . I've actually added binaries to my GPMD2CSV tool so that it exports directly to GPX, KML and JSON too.

Highlighted
Tourist
Re: Extracting the GPS information and importing it into Google Earth
[ Edited ]

RaceRender 3 free version it is possible to export maximum 5 minutes, is it other software for export gpx or kml file, please?

Highlighted
Nomad
[ Edited ]

@donnje Have you tried with the GPMD2CSV tool? It extracts GPX and KML files too: http://tailorandwayne.com/gpmd2csv/

Highlighted
Tourist

@kajuna

I just tried the Tailor and Wayne extraction program. Very good, except that there are problems.

The program creates gpx, kml and json, and some csv files. Of the first 3, I can only open the gpx file in GPSU.

Dashware creates a large csv file as well. Comparing the Dashware csv file with the gpx file produced by the GPMD2CSV program, there are 2 major problems. GPMD2CSV takes the wrong column of information for the elevation. It uses the field Elevation_i, which is about 34 to 38 below the actual elevation, rather than the column: Elevation Meters. I have tested this thoroughly using the gps program on my cell phone, looking at the results in DashWare, as well as elevations produced by GoogeEarth and OpenStreetMaps (OpenTopoMap). Where I live, at about 26 m above sea level, GPMD2CSV has me below sea level, whereas my gps, Dashware, GoogleEarth and OpenTopoMap all have me at the correct elevation.

RaceRender also uses the same incorrect data. For the distance, there is a distance column in the Dashware csv file and it also shows up on the timeline of Dashware. The distance given in the gpx file by GPMD2CSV is 10 to 15% too long. RR gives a similar excessive distance. This, too, I tested against my cell phone gps program.

Below is a link to a thread on the RaceRender HPTuners forum. See message #10 for my detailed explanation.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?74083-GoPro-Hero-5-Incorrect-fields-used-by-RR-for-Elevati...

Have you done any testing to validate the results of the conversion program?

John CB

Highlighted
Tourist

tnx a lot Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Nomad

Hi @jcbvideos,

I have not tested my tool thoroughly for GPS data, as I own a Hero 5 Session, which only includes IMU data, not GPS. I have only worked with sample data. The fields you are referring to (Elevation_i, Elevation Meters...), though, are not data that can be found in the GoPro video files, as far as I know. I believe they are computed values created by Dashware, and I have no idea how they deduce those values from the existing data. Regarding elevation, they probably try to convert altitude (relative to the floor) to elevation (relative to sea level), but I don't know how. My tool just extracts the existing data to a bunch of common formats. I can only access one altitude value from the raw binary data. I just tested a bunch of sample files and they all return negative altitude values, could it be that they need to be turned positive?

Also, keep in mind that GPS altitude is very, very inaccurate. Barometer altitude is much better, but it is relative to the starting point (it does not know where the sea is, so to speak). Probably GoPro combines a barometer and the GPS antenna to deduce a value, but dont know really, and even if they do it could be off.

Regarding distance. What do you mean? I don't include a distance field in my files.

Sorry I can't be of much help.

Highlighted
Hiker
[ Edited ]

kajuna,

Thanks for starting this conversation and all the work you (and others) have done with the Metadata from the GoPro cameras.  While I understand, at a very high/gross level what you are doing the details are beyond me at this time. And, my needs are much simpler than yours and most people in this conversation. So, excuse this set of simple questions.

It seems all your tools don't work on a MacBook Pro (I'm assuming that based solely on the file extensions used).  While the results can be used with other programs (Google Maps) and exported to devices such as Garmin, my need is much simpler. I need what Quik is supposed to do, maybe a bit more after reading the extent of the data that GoPro records in the metadata of their videos. Also, you (or someone) mentions time (of day). The GoPro Quik app is always completely wrong, and I need it. 

What I am trying to do is have the basic information: Speed (and changes graphed), direction (GPS map overlay on a Google map segment - able to zoom in and out?), altitude, elevation gain, distance (mileage - across video files, since GoPro creates numerous video files limited in time), average speed. Rotation, G-Forces are not important.  The most important part is that this information is overlayed and oviously sync'd with the video.  I use the GoPro in my coaching to do video analysis of runners, cyclist and swimmers. I know that GPS signals don't penatrate water or are available indoors, but I can live with that.  

Also, any idea of GoPro's intent and progress in fixing the problems they have, which I suspect are with the Quik app?

tia

Highlighted
Hiker

Hi everybody,

and thanks for this great conversation which could solve my longtime problem with gopro rotation upside-down while kitesurfing and the cam positionend in the kitelines.

The rollercoaster effekt is amazing and represents exactly what I am looking for: a possibilty to level the horizon permanently. All the gps data is not important for me, it's all about the gyro.

For a better understanding of my problem here two clips: The first is straight out of cam and makes headaches watching and the second is using kind of gimbal (which is positioned behind the cam in the lines but unfortunately not waterproof) but makes footage great for viewing.

https://vimeo.com/291484932

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-3sO2spZ_c

Now I followed the instructions mentioned from these great people here who create such genies codes and got an export folder with 7 files (.gpx, .json, kml, accl, gps, gyro, temp).

It is written: „Once your data is exported to csv, open the file, copy the content and you can paste it to an After Effects layer.“

Now the problem starts. Which file is meant with csv and how do I open it and how to paste it in an AE layer?

Could somebody explain me this?

Excuse me for kind of „hijacking“ this thread,(and my bad english btw) but it seamed the exact right one to post my questions and find finally/hopefully (after a very long time and lots of online hours and keyframing) a solution for my problem.

Cheers

Keahi is no stranger to some of the best waves on the planet and Cloudbreak has to be right up there as one of those. He takes us for a spin with his drifter...