Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Plus
Highlighted
Hiker

There is no reasonable way to load large / chaptered GoPro MAX files into GoPro Plus

Calling attention to a problem: there is no reasonable way to load large / chaptered GoPro MAX files into GoPro Plus.  The options are as follows:

1. The first approach is to simply configure the camera to use its Auto Upload feature.  Unfortunately, as described here (https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Common-Auto-Upload-Issues/ta-p/394321), Auto Upload does not support large / chaptered GoPro MAX files.
  2. The next approach is to use the GoPro Quik desktop app to load the files into GoPro Plus.  Unfortunately, to quote this page (https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Add-Media-to-GoPro-Plus/ta-p/401627), "Quik for Desktop does not support content captured with GoPro Fusion or GoPro MAX."
  3. You'd think you could pull the SD card from the camera, transfer the .360 files onto your desktop, and simply drag / drop the .360 files into the GoPro Plus website.  However, after contacting GoPro's support team, I've learned that GoPro Plus cannot accept .360 files from GoPro Max.  The .360 files must first be converted to a different format before they can be uploaded.  

So, that leaves two other methods (that I'm aware of), and neither is really feasible:

4.  With the .360 files on your desktop, you need to convert each file into its equirectangular format before loading the files into GoPro Plus.  This is unreasonable because A) the conversion time is lengthy, B) the resulting equirectangular file is enormous (we're talking ~30GB or larger), and C) uploading multiple files that large, even on a fast internet connection, would take an eternity.
  5. The last approach is to connect the camera to your smartphone, transfer the files onto your phone via the GoPro App, and the upload the files from your smartphone's app into GoPro Plus.  This is also unreasonable because A) it ties up your smartphone for this process for a long amount of time, and B) it requires lots of available hard drive space on a small mobile device.

Am I missing something?  Or is the only path forwards to sit tight until the Auto Upload feature is fixed?

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: There is no reasonable way to load large / chaptered GoPro MAX files into GoPro Plus

Hello @rapidstoke2025

GoPro PLUS supports 360 files captured on MAX.

You should be able to upload MAX files to PLUS without any issues.

For reference, you may check https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Add-Media-to-GoPro-Plus/ta-p/401627

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: There is no reasonable way to load large / chaptered GoPro MAX files into GoPro Plus

Hi @aragon1006 , 

Thanks for your reply - is that a recent development?  On December 19, I received the following email from GoPro Support:

Good day! I hope that you are doing great today! As I received an email from our team that the .360 file is not supported on the cloud. The reason that you are able to upload the .360 on the cloud using GoPro app, the app will converts the app to mp4 and upload it on the cloud. What you can do is to convert the footage to mp4 and upload it manually to the cloud or the way you upload it through GoPro app.

If you have any question please let us know by setting up a call back or chat with us and refer to this case 07352223.

Thanks,

John Eric
GoPro Support
ref:_00Do0HJuF._5003b1SbnPe:ref

^ This is because when I was uploading .360 files to the cloud, the upload would get to 99%, and then fail.  Has there been an update?

Thanks

Highlighted
Sightseer

Nope that sounds about right.  I have been so frustrated with about everything that has to do with this Go Pro.  Everything is a huge pain and nothing is user friendly at all.  I almost regret using it because i know just getting everything I want off the camera is going to be such a pain.  to the point where i wont be buying a Gopro again.  They should have the upload process so easy and steamlined at this point.  There is no reason at all why it should be such a big pain to get usable content off the camera.

Highlighted
Hiker

@aragon1006 Just to be totally clear, the article you linked is the same one I included in my original post.  It says "Quik for Desktop does not support content captured with GoPro Fusion or GoPro MAX."

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @rapidstoke2025

Since 360 files are not compatible with Quik for desktop, you can proceed with the other ways listed on the link I shared. That was just for reference.

As advised, 360 MAX files are supported on GoPro PLUS.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

But @aragon1006 , the other methods do not work.  Did you see GoPro Support's reply?  This is exactly why I created this thread - please see below:

.360 file is not supported on the cloud. The reason that you are able to upload the .360 on the cloud using GoPro app, the app will converts the app to mp4 and upload it on the cloud. What you can do is to convert the footage to mp4 and upload it manually to the cloud or the way you upload it through GoPro app.

If you have any question please let us know by setting up a call back or chat with us and refer to this case 07352223.

Thanks,

John Eric
GoPro Support
ref:_00Do0HJuF._5003b1SbnPe:ref

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @rapidstoke2025. Apologies for the confusion with the information that you got from Support. We have already sent feedback to them for correction. 

To sum it up, 360 files from MAX (the .360 ones) can be uploaded directly to the PLUS cloud without needing conversion to MP4. We have been able to do it via (1) auto upload with the camera as a hub, (2) mobile upload through the GoPro App, and (3) manual upload through GoPro.com . Files are uploaded as .360 files, and downloaded as .360 files as well. 

And, yes, Quik for Desktop does not support content captured with GoPro Fusion or GoPro MAX (in 360 mode.