Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Hiker
Getting Dashware to see Hero7 black profile?

Since Quik is so limited and janky, I'm trying to get dashware working with my Hero7 files. I thought I understood that this was possible by putting a Hero7 black xml data template/profile into the proper folder to get dashware to use the template to map the columns properly so it could be interpreted for the maps, gauges, etc.

The instructions I've seen on the boards or online in other places usually say to put the hero 7 profile into the c:/programfiles/dashware/datatools/dataprofiles folder, but if I look there, I see few (or zero) profiles. If I open dashware and go to edit data profiles and have it open the data profiles folders (a button in one of those dialogues) I see that it has put all those profiles in a documents folder: user\Documents\DashWare\DataProfiles\

However, I have moved the Hero 7 xml template (and karma, and other) xml template files into this folder and for some reason dashware doesn't add them to the dropdown list of available templates. I'm not sure how to get it to do that. Trying the various "add" buttons in the profile dialogues has only confused me, so it's possibly user error here in my case.

Anyone have an idea of how I'm screwing this up?

Hiker
Re: Getting Dashware to see Hero7 black profile?

Hmm. While poking around looking for profiles, I noticed a log file which seems to indicate that the profiles I downloaded don't meet the criteria dashware is looking for, so it throws them out as it is starting up.

snip of log file:

Error constructing data profile from 'D:\Documents\DashWare\DataProfiles\Hero5GPMF.xml': Missing required node 'DataStartLineIndex' below 'DataProfile'
   at UltraGauge.XMLTools.GetRequiredInt32Value(XPathNavigator node, String nodeName)
   at UltraGauge.DataProfile.Load(String profileFilename)
   at UltraGauge.DataProfileManager.EnumerateProfiles()
Error constructing data profile from 'D:\Documents\DashWare\DataProfiles\Hero6GPMF.xml': Missing required node 'DataStartLineIndex' below 'DataProfile'
   at UltraGauge.XMLTools.GetRequiredInt32Value(XPathNavigator node, String nodeName)
Error constructing data profile from 'D:\Documents\DashWare\DataProfiles\Hero7BlackGPMF.xml': Missing required node 'DataStartLineIndex' below 'DataProfile'
Error constructing data profile from 'D:\Documents\DashWare\DataProfiles\Hero7SilverGPMF.xml': Missing required node 'DataStartLineIndex' below 'DataProfile'
Error constructing data profile from 'D:\Documents\DashWare\DataProfiles\KarmaGPMF.xml': Missing required node 'DataStartLineIndex' below 'DataProfile'

Highlighted
Hiker

I fixed the cascading node errors (it wanted a few more after the first missing one) and finally got a modified xml data profile to load in dashware for the hero7 black. However, it wasn't properly mapping all required fields in dashware (lacking running time in seconds). After manually mapping that to the first column in the gopro data csv generated by dashware, the data will load, but the speed values are crazy and there's no map. The speed columns seem to be properly mapped to what dashware pulls into the csv (eg my bike values look correct, 5-25 mph) but the gauges in dashware show I am riding 170 mph. Obviously something is a long way off with the column mapping and or mapping from columns to dash instruments. Someone with patience could probably build the hero7 profile from scratch (I'd be surprised if it weren't done already). I may give it a shot later.

Since the Hero7 black is GoPro's flagship camera and they own dashware, it'd be (digs in GoPro thesaurus for proper lingo...) RAD if GoPro provided working telemetry tools for its own product.

Nomad

I'm surprised they haven't addressed this yet!

Hiker
[ Edited ]

I decided to try an easier test, so I used the simpler csv of gps info from the GPMD2CSV workflow, then made a custom data profile from scratch, and I ran into a lot of problems with dashware. It was happy enough with the data after I made a calculated seconds field. But not much else worked. It couldn't seem to calculate a heading from the latitude and longitude, returning a zero. (It did the same with the correctly-pulled coordinates that it extracted from the same file). The speedometers wouldn't use the speed from the speed column. It couldn't create a map even after I made calculated fields following the directions on the dashware FAQ. Strange. I'm new to it, and I'm no expert, but I don't think I'm that dense.

With it's ability to make a greenscreen gauge track, it would be a really useful tool for editing longer stuff, if we could just get it to work with Hero7Black telemetry.