Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Hiker
Re: Extracting the metadata in a useful format

Hi Kajuna

I do not have GoPro 6 samples, however gonzoxyz tried (mentioned a few posts earlier) my application trassy.pl with GoPro 6 and it worked for him for the scope of meta data I am using (lat, long, alt, speed, time, GPS signal quality). So at leat for those parameters if we follow the mp4/GoPro structure we are OK, or seems so :)

Highlighted
Nomad
Thanks, I updated my tool so that it does not stop when encountering new data that Hero6 or future cameras might have :)
Hiker

Do you still need Hero 6 samples? I will gladly provide them if you can make extracting gpx from the footage easier..

Hiker

Hi

I updated trassy.pl GPS parsing and exporting to GPX with following feature (on Plawa suggestion - thanks Martin!):

- process and downoload GPX files individually for every input GoPro mp4 file. Download GPX files are stored in the folder and packed with zip. This feature is especcially benefitial if there is no continuity among individual files/GPS meta data

Link to the feature (login with facebook account needed):

trassy.pl/blog/syncloc

cheers

trassy.pl

Tourist
Extracting the GPS information and importing it into Google Earth

Well, it took me the whole evening to figure it out, but I finaly found an easy way to extract the GPS data of my Hero5 and transfert to Google Earth!

0. Install the Google Earth Pro desktop app and the excellent RaceRender 3

1. In RaceRender, open your GoPro MP4 file. RaceRender will find the GPS data in it and ask you if you want to import it as well: you sure do.

2. After some more steps, you will see your RaceRender project panel with the MP4 file and a file named yourvideo-RR_Data. That's your telemetry data right there.

3. Right-click on it and select "Export Data" -> "Google Earth .KML (GPS only)". Save your KML file on your disk.

4. Open the KML file in Google Earth and voilà !

Enjoy,

Yann

Tracé.png

Nomad
Re: Extracting the GPS information and importing it into Google Earth
[ Edited ]

Has anyone found a way to extract the data for the Fusion? I've tried both the original GPMD2CSV.BAT (and required programs) and the modified one as well as Dashware and RaceRender. None of these are able to parse the data in the Fusion mp4 file. There is data present because I have been able to use ffmpeg to extract it from the stream but the extracted CSV files are empty. I would be happy to provide sample camera footage if needed. Thanks in advance.

Nomad
yes, can you please share a very small sample? GPMD2CSV.BAT should exctract some data (that's what I will work with), but probably not all the data included in the Fusion.
Nomad

@kajuna Thank you. Please find below the link to 30 sec of sample footage. There are two files. One from each of the front and rear cameras. I believe the data is recorded in the footage from the front camera but I have included both just in case.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ys2wY8V2lTcriBkpWsmmDTdzLK0BPoNl