Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Nomad
Re: Extracting the metadata in a useful format
[ Edited ]

Hey guys,

Would anyone that uses Virb Edit for their gauges mind testing my new extraction format? I have switched the tools that run the site in the background and I believe the data should work better in Virb now: https://tailorandwayne.com/gopro-telemetry-extractor/

Also, you can now download .mgjson files and import them directly into After Effects, if you'd like to design your own gauges.

More sweet updates coming soon :)

Explorer

@kajuna 

You have done some amazing work!  Have you reached out to GoPro with this?

Nomad

Hi @danielr15 , Not by any official channel. What do you suggest?

Explorer
I think you should try the following:
https://gopro.com/en/us/connect (Fill out the forms under Partner With Us>Software and also Contact Public Relations

Also https://gopro.com/en/us/feedback under Product and Web

I sent feedback on your behalf, but you should do the same.

The site you created is really well done. I'd love to see more support documentation or perhaps you could do a walk through video of the different functions and how to utilize and interpret the data.
Nomad

Thanks @danielr15 ! Will give it a try.

I wish I had more time to write documentation, tutorials... It's in my to-do list, like publishing an offline premium version of the app with extra features.

Hiker

Hi

Recently I have many problems regarding GPS data in videos taken with GP7 Black. It has been already replaced by GoPro but still the same problems: camera freezing, some videos are lost and GPS data is corrupted. The GP7 can lose the GPS lock in the open space free of obstacles. Attached the screen shot from trassy.pl/syncloc 

What I actually do because of that is I record the GPS track with 2 smartphones(with Strava and Endomondo) - if I do not have GPS data from GP7, which is the most comfortable, I can synchronize with GPX from mobile application. And, somehow smartphones do not lose the GPS lock (Samsung and iPhone).

cheers

Eligiusz

Zrzut ekranu 2019-07-28 o 20.18.49-min.png
Explorer
Because smartphones also use cell towers, which the camera cannot. Download UAV forecast and turn off Galileo and GLONASS. You will be able to check to see how many satellites are available, estimated lock, and kp index (for atmospheric interference). You want 9+ satellites for accuracy and a kp less than 4.
Hiker

I do not agree that this is the cause of GPS issues for GoPro 7 Black (in that open space you could not have better visibility of satellites but GP7 could not get a lock for an hour. For the rest of that 3 hour shooting the GPS was horible as well. The other day with more cloudy conditions I followed the same route with the same GP7 and the collected GPS data was OK - so it can capture proper data without cell towers assistance when it works).

But I do not want to continue and spam the discussion in that thread. If anybody is interested I can open a new thread.

cheers

Eligiusz