Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Sightseer
Re: Extracting the metadata in a useful format
Hi kajuna! Great work with the gopro meta extract tools!
I've tried your gpmf-exrtact one.
I have very big GoPro Hero 6 Black files, around 4GB each.

What's the best way to pass these to the gpmf-extract tool? It seems to expect a Buffer, but there's no way NodeJS can load such a big file into memory (i.e. there's no way you can load it at once via fs.readFile or readFileSync).
When I try, I get the typical NodeJS error
"RangeError: "size" argument must not be larger than 2147483647"

I also tried the web app, and it works, so I suspect the FileReader approach (for browser) does not suffer from the same issue as NodeJS?
Highlighted
Nomad
Yes. The browser approach will work, but it is slow. FileReader is not available natively in Node, but maybe you can try the NPM modules that claim to reproduce it. It should also be possible to analyse the file in chunks like the browser does, but I would not know how to approach that just now.

Please let us know if you make any progress. I might have to adapt the extractor to solve this.

By the way, if you use the output of gpmf-extract in the gopro-telemetry package, keep in mind that it is in a very very early stage
Sightseer
Thanks for the super quick response!

Yes, I might try the browser way for now.

Basically I've been having troubles with one of my GoPro videos: it seems to have some sort of bad/corrupted data in the gpmd metadata.
I generally use RaceRender3 to extract the data automatically and it has worked fine with other files. Just this one seems problematic.

That's why I searched for alternatives and stumbled into this thread.
Interestingly, your web app "GoPro Telemetry Extractor" also gives me an error with this particular file (it works perfectly with others).

So I thought that the data was corrupted, even though GoPro Quik is able to read it and show the gauges correctly... so it can't be 100% bad. Perhaps it contains and edge case that your script or RaceRender3 extraction script can't handle.

I've also tried the original gopro-utils and GPMD2CSV, same result.

If of any interest I can send on the extracted `.bin`
Nomad

The web app uses the same tools as GPMD2CSV in the background (for now). You might have better luck debugging with the new JavaScript tools, but they are under construction, so you might have to play with the code: https://github.com/JuanIrache/gopro-telemetry

Sightseer

What a great thread! 

Has anyone found a good applicatoin for visualizing 3D movement including rolls, flips, spins etc. Say for snowboarding, Redbull air racing or aerobatics?

Nomad

@jw86 I don't think there's anything that does that out of the box yet. It's not easy as GPS altitude is not very accurate, and the gyroscope is prone to drift (and calculating absolute positions is really complicated). I wanted to give it a try a while ago, but there's just too many things I want to try.

Sightseer
Ha! Indeed, it would be really cool wouldn't it, especially if you can use the accelerometer and magnetometer to dampen and interpolate the GPS data :)
Nomad
Betreff: Extracting the metadata in a useful format

@loyaldusk1743 Would you mind sharing that VirbEdit.GPX file with me again? I can implement the format now, but the link has expired.

Thanks!