Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Sightseer
Re: Extracting the metadata in a useful format

So i successfully generated the data as .csv, .json, .kml and .gpx files. But how can i use it in After Effects to create my own charts? I'm really an advanced AE user, but not good at coding. What is needed to convert the data into After Effects keyframes?

1.JPG

Simply loading the .json file into AE only gives me hundreds of data sets below my layer, but no keyframes.

2.JPG

Thank's for your help.

Nomad

Hi @julianl065

At the moment I cannot spend time explaining how the process works. It's pretty complex (as using the data in After Effects was experimental). The only way I know of achieveng this is by using the Processing sketch ( https://github.com/JuanIrache/gyrocam ). It analyses the extracted CSV and creates additional CSV files that you can copy and paste (its contents) on After Effects layers. You won't need to do real coding, just adapt the basic values (framerate,frame size...) to what you filmed and the results you expect. There was some discussion on how to do this here, but unfortunately most of it is in Spanish: https://github.com/JuanIrache/gyrocam/issues/2

Tourist
[ Edited ]

Hey,

I just tested the bat with my Hero 7 black and I didn't encounter any big problems. I haven't checked the full integrity of the data, but it seems reasonable.

I didn't get any temperature data it seems.

If it helps, I can provide some sample files. I have a bit of coding experience, but not nearly as much as y'all do. I hope I can help further this project!

Cheers,

Lemmi

Nomad

Thanks @jm-lemmi,

I just tried my new 7 Black and I'm surprised at how inaccurate GPS data is. The camera was chest-mounted while riding a motorbike, but I drove for like 20 minutes and there are barely a couple of acceptable locations, let alone anything similar to a track.

Those with experience with GPS-enabled GoPros, is this normal? I was expecting a bit more... this is unusable.

Highlighted
Hiker

How did you start the recording? Using the one-button start or from standby? I have no problem recording GPS data when I turn the camera on, let it get GPS lock and then record a video but there's never any data in the one-button videos

Nomad
I turned the camera on first, but did not wait for a GPS lock. I assumed it would get a lock eventually and record the data. Will wait for a lock next time. Thanks
Tourist

My first first testvideo only had 0; 0 Coordinates, which is pretty disappointing. I started it first and then recorded. Its was a 10 minute bike ride with the camera on my chest and the GPS should have no problem, as it was in a small suburb.

My second Test was today on the fields, with the camera mounted on my head, the result is not ideal tbh. It lost contact, as soon as I entred the housing, even though there really shouldnt be that much interference. My phone works just fine.

I also have a problem with the codec. I recorded in HEVC instead of H264, when I turned it back to H264, it doesnt seem to register. Might have to test later again.

Screenshot (347).png
Tourist

Ah, I just realized that H264 is not compatible with 4k60. My bad