Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted
Tourist
DroneViewer (video and data visualizer) now supports GPS-enabled GoPro HEROs

Just wanted to let folks know that DroneViewer now supports GPS-enabled GoPro HERO cameras (like the 5, 6 and 7). If you're not familiar with DroneViewer, here is a short description:

DroneViewer is a Mac and Windows application that lets you play your videos on the main screen while watching your GoPro's speed, distance, position, and bearing update on graphs, data displays, and maps. You can geotag key points in your route and jump back to them instantly. You can export portions of your videos to separate clips, or export just a single geotagged frame. You can save your route to common file formats such as comma-separated value (CSV), GPS-exchange (GPX), or Google Earth (KML), for further data analysis.

Note that GoPros store altitude data relative to the WGS84 ellipsoid. This is different than Mean Sea Level and can result in negative altitudes for activities that actually occur on the Earth’s surface. DroneViewer corrects this offset by applying a Mean Sea Level (MSL) correction (know as a geoid undulation).

The website has more information and free trial versions.

Explorer
Re: DroneViewer (video and data visualizer) now supports GPS-enabled GoPro HEROs
I watched the video and I am downloading the user manual right now. Quick question, can you embed the gauges into the video for export?
Tourist
Re: DroneViewer (video and data visualizer) now supports GPS-enabled GoPro HEROs

Thanks for trying it out!

The software is designed primarily as a rapid viewing and data visualization tool so unfortunately there is no means of re-rendering the video with embedded gauges. Besides, there is already 3rd party software that could do the job better than I could! 

Explorer
It's a very cool program. The export CSV file should work with Dashware. I don't have the time to test it right now, but if it does you should make a video showing how they work together.
Tourist

Just wanted to let folks know we recently released DroneViewer v1.1.3 for Mac and Windows. DroneViewer is compatible with GPS-enabled GoPro cameras:

New Features:

• Alt-Return, F11, and Cmd-F (Mac) or Ctrl-F (Win) will all toggle fullscreen mode
  • The spacebar-to-pause/resume feature now works even if the main window is not in the forefront.

General Improvements:

• The Time Preferences have been simplified. The Auto-Fix Time Offsetbutton, the Always Auto-Fix Time Offsetbutton, and the Time Offsetfield have all been removed. These have been replaced with a Time Bias The Time Bias allows you to fine-tune the synchronization of the video with the drone’s map position. In most cases this can be left at ‘0’ seconds.

Bug Fixes:

• Fixed crash that could occur if all graph y values were identical.

DroneViewer has many more features and is available for download on our website: http://mydroneviewer.com

Sightseer
[ Edited ]

Can't play jack sh*t on W10 Pro with K-Lite Full Codec Pack and latest updates. Just blank screen, no decoding no matter what kind of file I feed it. Google Map not visualized as well.

On my Win7 x64 VM it crashes straight when I try to load a file. Google Map is visualized.

On neither OS the K-Lite Codec Pack installation is detected correctly btw.

Tourist

Thanks for trying DroneViewer. I haven't heard of those issues before. Are you sure you're using H.264 codec for your recordings? Try 1080p as a test. Also, the GPS in the GoPro takes a minute or so to establish a "fix", so you may not see anything in the Map or Dashboard displays until then.

Sightseer
Not my recording but according to ffmpeg it's H.264:

Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264 (High) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuvj420p(pc, bt709), 3840x2160 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 60011 kb/s, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 90k tbn, 59.94 tbc (default)

Tried other, non-GoPro videos, nothing gets decoded no matter what. Software doesn't hang but doesn't pop-up any error message either. If you have a debug version that collects logs I can install it and send them out to you.

Btw, checked out the informational video about your software. Is the capability to extract geotagged JPGs from the video stream still working only on MacOS? If so - any plans to port it to the Windows version?