Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Nomad
Re: Extracting the metadata in a useful format
Oh that'd be great. I'll get in touch privately
Tourist
Re: Extracting the metadata in a useful format

Using the batch file I can see the gyro info is available in a GoPro Hero5 file (which I need to get pitch and roll info as gauges in Dashware). However, Dashware doesn´t seem to extract/recognize this from a GoPro file format. Will there be an update in Dashware?

Any link to an EASY to understand tutorail on how to create a new GoPro data profile (cause I get lost in reading the ones I find).

thanks

Tourist
Betreff: Extracting the metadata in a useful format

Thank you for Your work, but as i have nearly zero experience with computer sciences, I'd like to ask how I should exactly use those downloadable parser scripts... you say it works fine by "just dropping the video files on the GPMD2CSV.bat " (htis thing does nothing when I drop something on it)...

Also I used Racerender to export a cvs file (like many advised me because there is htis function there) but when I open those files, I can see only the coodrinates and the altitude and a speed column, but I'd like to have the acceleration (the accelerometer column)... does anyone know where I can get that from? (I have a mac so I cannot use Dashware)...

Thanks you all!

Nomad

@bluecreek74714 Are you on Windows? I will have something ready for other platforms in a few days.

Nomad
[ Edited ]

Alright, with the new tool you can extract a simplified GPX file for Virb Edit.

https://tailorandwayne.com/gopro-telemetry-extractor/

It's not the optimal solution yet, but it's what I can do with the limited time I have.

Let me know how that goes.

Tourist
[ Edited ]

I'm having a few issues with the online tool.  Sometimes I get error processing file when I try to save it and need to reanalyze.  Sometimes I also can download the .gpx file but its blank.  I did manage to get a couple videos with GPX data but even then, its a much smaller filesize compared to when using GPMD2SCV

I have linked my 2 files below.  GPMD2CSV.GPX (This is the GPX I get using GPMD2SCV (564KB), which of course does not work with Verb edit) and VirbEdit.GPX (This is the GPX I get using the Online Beta tool and selecting VIRBedit (36kb)), for the same video.  Maybe this can help troubleshoot, or perhaps its coded correctly and the online tool is causing the issue? (I had to try several times for some video to even get that 36KB .gpx file.)  Is there a way to use GPMD2CSV offline tool and Save VIRBedit compatible .gpx files?

Thanks for all your effort with this.  Virb Edit is clearly the easiest to use software with gague editing out there (And its free).  If we can use our GoPro footage in verb Edit it will put great shame to GoPro and their inability to create native software that supports GPS gagues (Quik doesnt work with HVEC) and also finally give us an easy way to make videos with gagues. (Its shocking to me that GPS has been a part of GoPros for 4 years now and they still dont have a native solution to thi)

VirbEdit.GPX

GPMD2CSV.GPX 

Nomad

@loyaldusk1743 The smaller file size is expected. Virb does not handle milliseconds properly, so what I have done to create GPX files compatible with Virb easily is to simplify the data to just one sample per second. Do those files work decently in Virb? There are better approaches that would probably allow us to keep both accuracy and speed, but I have not had the time to develop them yet.

Regarding the errors you get when processing the files, would you be able to send me a sample file that fails, privately? I have been fixing errors with large files recently, it could be that. So maybe try again or try to send me something I can test (or screenshot the error and the exact time you got it). Thanks

Nomad

@kajuna Could I ask for your help? I'm trying to leverage some of the code from https://github.com/JuanIrache/gopro-utils. I downloaded the code and tried to build some of the modules but get "can't find package" errors. The code seems to be dependent on other code. For example, telemetry.go has an import statement for "github.com/paulmach/go.geo". I went there on github but it says "Geometry/geography library in Go, DEPRECATED, use -> https://github.com/paulmach/orb". I downloaded that but the directory links to the modules don't seem to match the import statements in the gopro modules. Could you please tell me where to get all the necessary dependent modules and how to install them so they can be found by the gopro-utils modules? Thanks in advance.