Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Sightseer
Re: Extracting the metadata in a useful format

Noticed a couple of things (that I don't recall reading here - though I suppose you folks already know of it)

The gps data gathering seems to start once the camera is powered on and a gps fix is obtained - not when the actual recording starts (does that make sense?)

I was going over the csv file - and I see at some point, the altitude goes negative.

Guessing that might be an elevation thing (though i am testing it at more or less 0 feet above sea level)

this is fascinating (and go pro can well learn from virb edit how to write software...still bitter, but less so, thanks to you all)

Sightseer

If there are any motorsports GoPro users out there, you might be interested to give serious-racing.com a try (disclaimer, I'm one of the co-founders).

We've recently added support for GoPro to serious-racing.com so you can turn your GoPro into a GPS lap timer. I did a bit of a write up of the technical implementation here:

https://serious-racing.com/blog/how-users-helped-us-develop-gopro-lap-timer/

There's no software to install - we extract the data from the video right from your browser, and turn it into laps for comparison with other users.

We'd be particularly interested in users with GoPro Hero6 or Hero7 to give it a try - we think it should work fine, but have only had users with GoPro Hero5s using it so far.

Cheers, Tom

Nomad

Hi @boldbeach40806,

I just uploaded a Hero7 Black track to your system and I'm not sure I'm seeing what I'm supposed to see. I just see a list of "laps" but when I click on them they display as standalone points. I might be doing something wrong, as I never used your system.

By the way, I'm the author of the github repo you mention in your article. It's great that you managed to go full JavaScript on this. I'd like to try that too for my tools when I get some spare time. Your article appears to miss that the repo includes a batch tool for easy extraction (it combines the ffmpeg and go processes) but that does not matter much now that you've solved it through the browser. I'm guessing your code is not open sourced in case I want to have a look at it, is it?

Cheers and welcome to the group.

Sightseer

Hi,

Ah, so the data you've uploaded won't look so great on the site as it's designed for tracks and so there are some built in assumptions about what makes up a track that the data on the beach won't work with. I've sent you a friend request on serious-racing.com - if you accept that you'll be able to see my laps, to get an idea of what it looks like.

In terms of the data you uploaded, here's a screen grab showing the GPS trace. Does this look right? If so, that's a pretty good indicator that this would work for a Hero7.

Yeah, we wanted to avoid people having to upload the entire video in the browser, which was why we went the javascript route to be able to pull just the GPS data out, but great that your repo does that. The code isn't open sourced, but I'd be happy to contribute back to your repo code showing what I'm doing, but it'd be python. Is that of interest?

Thanks, Tom

gps_trace.png
Nomad

@boldbeach40806 Yes, the map is correct. And the info on your app looks great (just checked your tracks).

Did you end up using some of the code from my repo? It works well with all cameras after Hero5, as far as I know, so if it's based off of that you should have no problems.

I'm considering re-creating the repo from scratch when I get some time off from work, as for now it's just a fork of the unmantained original project. I'm not sure how python code would fit in all that. It would be interesting to see, and useful when/if I get into developing an online version of the metadata extracting tool. So, maybe if you see where your code could fit in the repo you can send a pull request.

Sightseer

I didn't end up using any code from your repo, as the project is in Python. I'm not really sure a PR would make sense given that, but the code I'm using is this:

https://pastebin.com/mqbKKeSn

It's a very stripped down version of what you're doing, as I'm only pulling out the data points/types I care about for my specific application rather than parsing all the GoPro data.

Thanks, Tom

Nomad

@boldbeach40806 Thanks. It's really interesting to see such a concise implementation. 

Tourist

what is your repo?

try to get in how to extract .gpx from gopro 7 silver video.

sadly, gought gopro without scout a situation, thinking, a gopro is leader in actioncams, and all must be very ok....

such **bleep**ty software i do not encounter for ages, must say :(