Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Nomad
Betreff: Extracting the metadata in a useful format

@dzeek Sure, the initial post of this thread covers how I built my setup. I am not a golang developer and had almost no idea what I was doing, so it's very chaotic and probably not the best approach. Also, many thigs have changed since then. My current setup is:

%USERPROFILE%\go\src\github.com\

There I have a folder for each of the github accounts I use dependencies from: juanirache, stilldavid, paulmach and so on. Within each of those folders are the repos I depend on, and my own repo.

%USERPROFILE%\go\src\github.com\paulmach\go.geo

I currently use the VSCode text editor for other stuff and some of its plugins manages the imports the repo needs automatically. Not sure if that'd be easier to setup than doing it manually from my instructions. I didn't know Github either, back then, so it's pretty embarrassing to read my post now. But I guess that might make it understandable to noobs like I was.

I still use whatever dependencies are listed in my repo, hadn't noticed that one was deprecated.

Nomad

@kajuna Thanks. I forgot about your initial post since I read it so long ago! I'm a newbie at this also. I'll do my setup like that and go from there. Thanks!

Sightseer

Have the 7 or 360 improved the GPS or IRS sensors from the 5 at all?

~400 Hz 3-axis gyro readings
~200 Hz 3-axis accelerometer readings
~18 Hz GPS position (lat/lon/alt/spd)
1 Hz GPS timestamps
1 Hz GPS accuracy (cm) and fix (2d/3d)
1 Hz temperature of camera

Also anyway to find angular and acceleration rate and bias stability specs at all?

Nomad
Re: Extracting the metadata in a useful format
Sightseer

Great! So the 5 actually has a better accelerometer than the 6 and 7 while the fusion has the best by far and a magnetometer to boot. 

Highlighted
Sightseer

Love the new site - you did so much work! It's impressive.

Question for you: just tried importing a clip in and here's the negative numbers data I'm seeing when I click on 'view map':

https://tailorandwayne.com/gopro-telemetry-extractor/#

What is the reasoning for the Go Pro 7 Black showing negative data? And is there a way to change this?

(I'm about to import this into Virb Edit)

negative numbers.PNG
Nomad

Thanks, glad you like it :).

The negative height occurs because the raw height data is not based on sea level. Negative vertical speed is normal, it just means you were going down (quite fast apparently, although the peak speeds often are exaggerated by small inaccuracies).

I would like to adjust the heights to sea level at some point, but for now my priority for the little time I can spare would be refactoring the tools in JavaScript. I'm not a Golang developer, so every new feature is painful to add and my implementations are not ideal.

So if anyone here has experience working with binary data in JavaScript, their help is very much welcome. Once we solve this, new features should be much easier to implement.

Nomad
[ Edited ]

Here's my progress in Javascript.

- Extracting the data from the mp4: https://github.com/JuanIrache/gpmf-extract

- Parsing the exctracted data: https://github.com/JuanIrache/gopro-telemetry

This will give us access to many more data types. Things like face detection, highlights, image uniformity and many more.