Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted
Nomad
Re: Extracting the metadata in a useful format
[ Edited ]

I updated the GPMD2CSV tool and now it also includes timestamps in the KML files. Maybe Virb edit can load those files too? I'm guessing the problem is Virb does not read the milliseconds from the timestamps right.

I also enabled exports to GeoJSON, but those do not include timestamps, so not useful for reading speed.

Working on more cool features :) Comming soon... I hope.

Nomad

It looks like Virb Edit cannot read milliseconds properly. I can provide a workaround but it will be some days until I have a user friendly solution. In the meantime, if anyone wants their GPX files adapted for virb they can send them to me privately.

Hiker

"Does anyone have a GPS file that works in Virb Edit so that I can compare them? If it's a formatting issue I should be able to adjust the GPMD2CSV tool "

Is it possible that VIRB edit is using a GPS speed value for the speed readout (and not finding one in the GPX files from this otherwise excellent tool, because it doesn't generate them in the GPX)? I see the speed values are extracted and are in the CSV file with the GPS info like this:

<extensions>

<gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension>

<gpxtpx:speed>6.86</gpxtpx:speed>

<gpxtpx:course>271.06</gpxtpx:course>

</gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension>

</extensions></trkpt>

I was going to dust off my VBA skills to use that CSV to export another GPX file that would have the speed in the GPX xml, but then I figured maybe it could be added to the export by the experts.

Nomad
I will try. I didn't build the GPX part of my tool, but will have a go at it when I find a moment. If anyone can fix it now just send a pull request on github :)

https://github.com/JuanIrache/gopro-utils/blob/master/bin/gopro2gpx/gopro2gpx.go
Sightseer
[ Edited ]

Hi,

I don't think it's a formatting issue - from what little I know.

I was going over the csv data from your excellent extraction tool - and it seems the gopro goes into negative values for altitude (speed I havent looked at yet)

Unfortunately, I cannot vouch for the speed data - as I have no external way of checking that just yet (getting a FlySight soon though)

But if it helps, even on successful video overlays in ViRB Edit, it has the altitude off by around 900-750 feet or so - that I can just about look at footage and mention specific points where it's off.

i can give you lots of data if you need :) including the raw video if you need it

Nomad
Altitude is not relative to sea level, that's why it can go negative. Fixing that is in my to-do list
Nomad

@vg071 regarding your samples, what kind of activities do you film?

Sightseer

Wingsuit skydives primarily