Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Hiker

video: shutter

[ New ]
Does locking the shutter angle force that exposure time, or is it a maximum exposure time? Without labs, EV Comp. is ignored when shutter lock is on. I'm not smart enough to understand why. Does labs allow both to be set?

GoPro

Re: video: shutter

[ New ]
Locking the shutter is forcing that exposure time, so I never use that, as I do like EV Comp and typically underexpose half a stop. This is not Labs, EV Comp is ignored on the stock firmware with shutter lock -- I don't know why. Labs removes no features.  

Labs adds Maximum Shutter Angle (or minimum shutter time.)  This can be combined with EV Comp, as the shutter is still in Auto.  
Hiker

[ New ]

It seems that forcing a long exposure time isn't super compatible with image stabalizaion?

Agreed, I always use x-.5 too. Safer when post-processing. I use low sharpness and flat colors too.

I see EV Comp in the documentation and in the app, but it apperas missing in QR Control Customizer.

GoPro Hero 8 Black 2.50.71

GoPro

[ New ]
Correct, Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS), can't remove motion blur within a frame. Hypersmooth awesomely smooths the motion path of a camera changing directions, but that looks best when the shutter speed is fast.  In daylight there are no issues, but in low light the shutter gets longer (automatically.)  The Max shutter angle Labs feature allows more control over this.  You can trade more ISO for a shorter shutter to improve stabilization using Labs.  Forum user example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC8KJdHjUNg

EV Comp is in QR Control Customizer under Protune.

eVomp.png
Explanatory test of the Maximum Shutter Angle: https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/maxshut/Feel like GoPro Labs should be getting more visibility, It's unlo...
Hiker

[ New ]

Thank you for the video! I have been snowed in on a mountain top since Sunday, so into my queue for when I have the bandwidth. Snow: the most beautiful yet unrelenting thing since the opposite s3x.

My mistake, EV Comp is usually there, except that I had Lock Shutter set and it was hidden. Despite being hidden, "x-.5" was still in my QR though.

"Labs adds Maximum Shutter Angle (or minimum shutter time.) This can be combined with EV Comp, as the shutter is still in Auto."

I finally see my confusion. I was playing with "i16S45", but I totally missed the entire page on the Maximum Shutter Angle setting.

That page does not note that, unlike locking the shutter, it is compatible with EV Comp.

Wait, isn't "Maximum Shutter Angle" a different way of stating Maximum Shutter Time?

GoPro

[ New ]
"Wait, isn't "Maximum Shutter Angle" a different way of stating Maximum Shutter Time?" Yes.