Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Hiker

qrlog.txt

[ New ]

When my GoPro powers up, it logs the boot script (time, battery, temperature, script).

I have learned other tricks. A script can load another script to generate a new entry in the log. Using this, repeats and power off commands can be logged. This has been useful for troubleshooting as well as tracking battery and temperature.

It would be helpful to log a power off when the user pushes the button, external power is connected/disconnected, etc. Yesterday my speed trigger "!SK5-2H30" didn't work, and I missed recording a three hour flight. It worked perfectly the day before, so I don't understand what happened. It could be user error, or a weird GPS problem, or something else. The log unhelpfully ends with the speed trigger being loaded.

I set up all the scripts and print out QR codes on index cards. I am not usually the direct user, so I am left blind, outside of the log entries, to exactly what failed.

GoPro 8 Black

GoPro

Re: qrlog.txt

[ New ]
Likely a GPS issue. Noted the logging requests.
Hiker

[ New ]

A GPS failure would explain a speed trigger not working. On the other hand, my GPS is always enabled, is specifically enabled in my script, and I was outdoors at altitude for hours.

I have both the battery installed and external power connected; is that possibly related?

Thank you for any additional logging that can eventually be added.

Hiker

[ New ]

I use this feature quite often - And initially I had an issue same as you. Here's what I've learned .. .. 

I use a GP7 mounted in a Re-Fuel case. I use both the camera battery and the external battery which is mounted within the Re-Fuel case. 

Originally I set the resolution to 4K - Forgot the frame rate .. Then using labs set the QR code to Speed Trigger. From stopped -- Then moving the camera would trigger to record then at a random time interval stop -- And the QR code removed from the camera. I fought this for quite some time trying to resolve. 

During my investigation I tried several resolutions and frame rates in an effort to achieve success.

Finally I found the combination that works -- On the GP7. 

I video now in 1080 @ 30 FPS. With a resolution greater and/or a frame rate greater -- 100% failure. But -- With this resolution and frame rate -- It works. 

For what it's worth .. My story -- Good Luck. 

Hiker

[ New ]

@0dan0, thank you for any additional logging.

@superdunner, thank you for sharing your experience.

For me, recording did not start over several hours of motion. It has worked before in the past a few times. I am surprised to hear that resolution could affect a trigger.

My external power comes from the plane's battery through a 4 meter USB cable. I purchased a Ulanzi G8-7 door for my GoPro 8 to allow for the cable.

If the GPS signal is lost, a made up value must be used for speed. Maybe infinity would be a better number than zero? I prefer extra triggers over missed triggers.

Hiker

[ New ]

To expand slightly on my experience and to help to paint perhaps a better picture as I use the GP7 .. .. 

Here's one issue --- Speed Trigger .. Set the cam for a greater than 1080p resolution or greater than 30 FPS -- The cam will trigger to start at the set start speed but sometimes immediately or shortly after while the cam is still in motion -- It will stop and stay on but in an idle state -- And here's the important point other than this condition -- The QR coding is lost. I have to stop and using my smart device again to program the cam for the QR code. On this point alone -- Regardless of the cam randomingly stopping the recording -- I would like to see the QR code the cam is programmed for -- Stay active in the cam. 

Also one point that effects all GP users -- And that is heat. If the cam gets hot enough it will not only stop recording but it will auto shut down. I bring up this point for those who use the Speed Trigger function -- Particularly when the cam is used as a dash cam. As an example illustrating -- In my sand car which is open (no windows) the cam gets bombarded with air as the vehicle is in motion -- So auto shutdowns are rare because of heat. Now -- In my truck with the cam mounted on the center of the dash -- I have a heating issue. Mainly this issue arrises when I stop for a period of time out in the sun. The cam mounted just behind the windshield - Gets baked. When I start up again -- And the cam triggers to start recording it will almost immediately stop recording and shut down. No much can be done -- Except to block the sun off the cam by parking in the shade or covering while parked in the sun. 

My issue is not cam specific as I have 2 GP7's mounted in the re-fueling cases and both experience exactly the same issue. As far as the random stop issue I have I can only think of one reasonable explination -- And it's the processor. Later cam's have perhaps a better processor and hence not the issue I am experiencing. And on a personal level I'd like to thank GP for expanding the QR coding to include the GP7. Initially it was only designed/released for the GP8. Even though I have an issue I've found a workaround and am rather enjoying what QR coding has opened up for me -- Thank You GP !!

One thing I'm now doing with great success on taking time lapses as I've had zero issues -- Is using the Altofocus Argus 7 enclosure. This allows the cam to be fully protected from the elements and the cam is mounted upside down. Great feature as I run without the cam battery - Using an external always on battery pack that fits nicely in the enclosure - And this allows the battery door to remain open. As the cam is mounted upside down in theory the hot air the cam generates easily rises thus preventing an over heat/shutdown issue. 

Bout all I got -- Good Luck to you Sir.