Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Hiker

corrupt file repair with Labs firmware?

[ New ]

Normally, if you have a power interruption and a file gets corrupted, the GoPro can repair it.

But it seems like my Hero 8s with Labs firmware can't do that.

Is this true?

I am using large chapter sizes, so I thought that may be the issue, but testing with large chapters off seems to give the same result.

Cheers

Russell

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: corrupt file repair with Labs firmware?

[ New ]
Yes, totally fixable. Your drone ended upside-down near the wheel of your truck, it was still recording when you put it on the passenger seat.  ;)

I think I see the issue, you are using custom file naming, which the camera's file repair doesn't know about.  

How to fix it:

1) You need a working camera with the same firmware (or maybe your naked HERO8), but with base filename set to the default (qr command: !MBASE=""

2) Record for 10+ seconds then pull the power/battery etc.  You want an intentionally unclosed file.

3) Add that SD Card to your PC (or Mac) directly (not via camera USB).

4) Delete the last file .mp4 capture, but copy its exact name. (e.g. GX010358.MP4)

5) Add your previous corrupted (unclosed) file to the SD card, and rename it to the copied name. (I renamed your Micro01_GX020859.MP4 to GX010358.MP4)

6) insert the SD Card back into the camera.

7) Power on the camera, and the "last" captured file will be repaired.

I think we can see that using the altered file naming is not ideal for a drone.

-David

View solution in original post

Hiker

[ New ]
Good news... In testing today I confirmed that you are indeed correct. Files that are properly recovered still work just fine with reelsteady... So perhaps I was experiencing a different set of issues and just assumed that's what was happening. Thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

File repair is working correctly, even with larger than 4GB files.  I just ran a series of tests, pulling the battery out mid-record, and the file was repaired on the next boot. 

What is happening on your camera that files are needing repair?

Hiker

[ New ]

Interesting.

I am actually running a naked hero 8 (in addition to my un-modded hero 8 and a hero 9)

The naked 8 is prone to power interruptions andd each time I've had a corrupted file, I am never able to recover it.

Would it be possibe to send you a download link for one of my corrupted files to see if yours will fix it? I would love to get to the bottom of the issue

Here's a link to one of my corrupt files in case you don't mind checking it out

https://gofile.me/5sPuT/KYJNERpmH

Thank you!

Russell

www.furiouspugs.com

GoPro

[ New ]
Yes, totally fixable. Your drone ended upside-down near the wheel of your truck, it was still recording when you put it on the passenger seat.  ;)

I think I see the issue, you are using custom file naming, which the camera's file repair doesn't know about.  

How to fix it:

1) You need a working camera with the same firmware (or maybe your naked HERO8), but with base filename set to the default (qr command: !MBASE=""

2) Record for 10+ seconds then pull the power/battery etc.  You want an intentionally unclosed file.

3) Add that SD Card to your PC (or Mac) directly (not via camera USB).

4) Delete the last file .mp4 capture, but copy its exact name. (e.g. GX010358.MP4)

5) Add your previous corrupted (unclosed) file to the SD card, and rename it to the copied name. (I renamed your Micro01_GX020859.MP4 to GX010358.MP4)

6) insert the SD Card back into the camera.

7) Power on the camera, and the "last" captured file will be repaired.

I think we can see that using the altered file naming is not ideal for a drone.

-David

GoPro

[ New ]

I have updated the Alternative filenmaing with a new warning and file recovery instructions: https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/basename/

Hiker

[ New ]

WOW.... that's SUCH a great explanation. Thank you David!

I had just spent the afternoon testing every scenario I could think of and have posted to the Naked GoPro group on Facebook about it.

I'll post what you just told me as well to add to it.

thank you SO MUCH!!!

Here's what I had posted:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NAKEDCINEWHOOP

For anyone who has had corrupted file issues... thought this may be helpful. When power gets interrupted during a recording, the file doesn't get closed properly and ends up corrupted. If you follow the correct procedure, your GoPro (and Nakeds will do it too) will fix that file. BUT, especially with Naked GoPros, you have to follow the procedure. If you have a power interruption you may also find that the GoPro doesn't come back on, or acts funny in various ways.
Well, because you generally don't have a screen to look at, it's hard to tell what's happening, but the naked GoPro will actually flash an LED code when it is fixing a corrupted file. It goes 1 long and 3 short flashes. If you see it do that, it's found the corrupt file and is repairing it.
So, if you have had a power interruption during a recording and have a corrupted file, here's what to do.
1: Remove the card
2: Cycle power and restart the GoPro
3: Re-insert the card.
At this point, you should see 1 long flash and 3 short ones. This means it's gone into repair mode. I'm not sure how to tell how long it could take or if it takes longer on bigger files. I've been testing with short files, but will report back when I have some longer ones to test on.
After you give it a few minutes to do it's thing, hold the MODE button to do a proper shutdown.
Your file should be repaired and the GoPro should work properly again.
NOTE: the reason I can't test this on some of my larger corrupt files is because I never save the .THM and .LRV files and in my tests, if you don't have those files with your main video file, it will not do the repair properly.
ALSO good to know, this works with GoPro Labs firmware and it also works with High Bitrate and HEVC compression.
Hiker

[ New ]

Would this work for files of GoPro 7 where the image is frozen and the sound keeps recording. That was a known problem that, as far as I know, was not solved. I still have some valuable files kitesurfing waves that I would like to recover, although I don't have the .THM and .LRV files 

GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry, no.  That is not an unclosed file issue.  The file repair is only fixing files that have no indexes due to an errupt power off.