Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Hiker

What does BIAS actually do?

[ New ]

During a livestream, scanning the oMBIAS=2.0 QR code doesn't seem to actually affect the exposure of the video. I'm looking to see if there's ways to improve the GoPro's performance in low-light livestreaming. Does this command accomplish that or is there something else I need to do too?

GoPro

Re: What does BIAS actually do?

[ New ]

Which camera model are you using?

I tested on HERO9.  So there is something you should do.   Make sure you have scanned oMQRDR=1 first.  This enables QR detection while recording.  Now oMBIAS=2 should work.  However there are limits, which you might be seeing.  BIAS doesn't change the MAX ISO that livestream is using (guessing it is around 800), so once your shutter is fully open and ISO at MAX, the BIAS will not gain the image up any more (just like EV doesn't.) 

Hiker

Re: What does BIAS actually do?

[ New ]

I am using a Hero 9. Ah I see, I think I'm running into the limits that you mentioned. I do see the camera adjust brightness when I scan the QR code, but when I move the camera to a dark scene, it looks identical regardless of what the BIAS is set to. The limits you've mentioned make sense, but are a bit unfortunate as I was hoping this would improve the low light performance a bit.