Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Tourist

Timelapse bugs (timelapse interval / power bank) and feature request (timelapse start)

[ New ]

Hi,

First of all I would like to thank you for the Labs firmware. It makes my kind of timelapses with GoPro's feasible.

That said, I would like te report what I think are bugs in the software:

1) When you program the interval of a timelapse, the interval that was originally set in the GoPro is used instead of the QR-code programmed interval.

2) When you connect a power bank -after- programming the GoPro with a QR-code, it will not take photos. When you first connect the power bank and then program it, all is fine.

Feature request:

The trail camera's that I normally use for long timelapses have a nice feature that the GoPro lacks. When you set a time period, for instance from 07:00 - 17:00, and the current time falls within that period, say 10:00. The trail camera's start taking photos right away instead of waiting for the starting time on the next day. I would like to have that on the GoPro's as well. 

Kind regards, Marnix

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Timelapse bugs (timelapse interval / power bank) and feature request (timelapse start)

[ New ]
Removing the owner information is not likely to change anything, after all it displays the Beta Firmware notice instead. Use the command !RESET, then reboot the camera, which will do the trick if you want to remove all stored QR metadata. I have seen issues at 21 seconds, you are correct, it doesn't boot in time for such a short interval.  In the future I plan that 25s be the shortest shutdown and restart time.

Idea to extend your battery, add Q to the end.  Try !25RQ  - the Q is for Quick, it is better suited for these shorter intervals.  If you did !25R, it would likely boot after 15s then count down the final 10, this is because it is trying to be precise.  With !25RQ it will boot near 25s later and immediately take a photo, this is less accurate, but more power efficient. Yes, the screen is simply reactivated with all these scripted actions.

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Re: Timelapse bugs (timelapse interval / power bank) and feature request (timelapse start)

[ New ]
1) True, the parameters changed are not saved into the preset (this will be fixed.) And the existing setting of Timelapse modes via QR Codes is buggy. 

2) True, this can't be fixed easily.  This relates to the issue documented on the lower half of the two timelapse pages: https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/longtimelapse/   The camera uses the wake timer to help charge the battery, so if you plug-in after the camera is sleeping, with a battery, all your wake time settings are lost.  For the extended timelapse modes, either internal battery only, or external power only, do not mix these.

Feature:  You can do this now with conditional commands.

>07:00<17:00!120N~!07:00NmP!1S!R

>07:00<17:00  If time > 7am and time < 5pm

!120N                  wait/sleep two minutes

~                      else

!07:00N               wait/sleep until 7am

mP                  set mode photo (just in case it wasn't the default, otherwise you can skip this)

!1S                  in a second take a photo

!R                    repeat

If you have photo mode as the default, the command is just:

>07:00<17:00!120S~!07:00S!R

Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you for taking the time to respond! And for doing it so quickly.

I will try this right away (only use power bank and program with the conditional commands).

Kind regards! 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi,

I have tested the suggested code and decided to go with:

mPfWrWg0v0dPoV0B1D4CSW0L0>07:00<17:00!1S~!07:00N!15R

As opposed to normal timelapse modes, using this code, the back screen is always on. But I still managed to get about 380 photos this way on one battery charge. I expect to get at least 12 times as much with the powerbank. That is approx. three whole days. There is about 24 seconds between photos: 15 + 1 sec waiting 3 sec countdown 5 sec processing.

One thing got in the way of testing. I tested with !21R which went well. But after setting the owner information the tests stopped. Displaying the owner information took too long I guess: the GoPro powers down and starts, displays owner information and then decides it is too late for the planned photo, powers down again and wants to wait 24 hours. All is fine with !30R en !15R.

I can't seem to remove the owner information. Overwriting it with no characters doesn't help.

Kind regards, Marnix 

GoPro

[ New ]
Removing the owner information is not likely to change anything, after all it displays the Beta Firmware notice instead. Use the command !RESET, then reboot the camera, which will do the trick if you want to remove all stored QR metadata. I have seen issues at 21 seconds, you are correct, it doesn't boot in time for such a short interval.  In the future I plan that 25s be the shortest shutdown and restart time.

Idea to extend your battery, add Q to the end.  Try !25RQ  - the Q is for Quick, it is better suited for these shorter intervals.  If you did !25R, it would likely boot after 15s then count down the final 10, this is because it is trying to be precise.  With !25RQ it will boot near 25s later and immediately take a photo, this is less accurate, but more power efficient. Yes, the screen is simply reactivated with all these scripted actions.
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion!

I did another test with !25RQ at the end. I got 440 photos this time: about 16% more efficient.

I don't mind the longer interval. It is about 44 seconds now. That still leaves me with a good framerate in the end.

The combination of a longer interval and more efficiency enables me to cover a whole work week (using the powerbank). That is very practical from a planning standpoint.

Changing powerbanks is easy because I now can stop and start the timelapse whenever I want.

A nice-to-have would be a conditional weekday range as weekends are often without action in my timelapse situations. But I am very happy with this solution. I will be using it next Monday for an assignment (two GoPro's combined with two trail camera's for backup - just to be sure). 

Kind regards!

GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks for the cool feedback.  The conditionals for the day of the week is a feature request we are thinking about, but not something we can do with the current firmware.  

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi 0dan0,

I do not find the discussion of not mixing power sources here https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/longtimelapse/.

I have a similar problem with construction timelapse not working when I:

1) qr the hero8 on battery

2) move the hero8 to the site and connect external power with the battery still in place

3) Hero does not perform the intended construction timelapse.

This seems to be a strange issue to me. Why does plugging in the external power wipe the settings?

Thank you,

GoPro

[ New ]

True, it only says: "If you want to try a USB powerbank, remove the GoPro battery for better results."  Here is why.  Battery charging uses the camera's wake timer, it only has one.  So you can either charge the camera's battery, or using the timer to do long timelapses, not both.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hum, maybe instead of one timer, have one clock with multiple wake-up alarms? Like on a smart phone?

GoPro

[ New ]
It is not the same technology. This alarm triggers the camera to power on the camera, booting just like the battery was added. Very much hardware based. Whereas your smartphone is basically always on. Doing the smartphone approach, the camera timer could only wait for amount 3 hours until the battery is exhausted.
Tourist

[ New ]

That makes sense.

It could be a good solution for the problem of running with usb charging and the battery in place.

Then the "clock" could always be on with many alarms.