Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Hiker

RTMP disconnects with "Network Error"

[ New ]

Hi, normally it seems that the QR code + RTMP livestreaming reconnects when the connection is lost, however with my setup I often receive a "Network Error" after 10-20 minutes and it permanently disconnects. Curiously, this only happens with certain access points and not all.

Is there a way to debug this further to figure out what the error actually is? I suspect it's due to packet corruption or something similar, but I haven't been able to verify.

Hiker

Re: RTMP disconnects with "Network Error"

[ New ]

Also, this is on the GoPro Hero 9 Black with the labs firmware.

GoPro

[ New ]

No idea.  Once the live-stream is up and running, it is no longer under Labs control.  What is your destination? Facebook, Twitch, your own custom RTMP etc?

Hiker

[ New ]

Custom RTMP server running on the AP. I've tried it with a stock Ubuntu distribution running nginx-rtmp with a very straightforward config. I've also streamed to this server from Larix Broadcaster with my phone without issues, so it seems GoPro-specific. I've confirmed that it's not a wifi signal issue either as I have an external antenna and have confirmed that the signal is around -30dBm the entire time.

Are there network debug logs that I can enable and extract or something? I've been banging my head trying to figure out what could be causing this issue for a while now. On the server, syslog reports no anomalies besides the device disconnecting from the AP and nginx reports that the stream simply ended, ie no errors.

GoPro

[ New ]

Are you recording on camera, saving a copy, or only livestreaming?  If you are saving a copy, does it fail if you are not?  10-20 minutes would be around the capturing time.  

Hiker

[ New ]

I am only livestreaming. Although I haven't tested if it would crash if I were also recording. It doesn't consistently disconnect at the same time but seems to eventually disconnect around every 20 minutes. I suspect it's a random event and at around that mark the likelihood of seeing a disconnect is just high enough.

Hiker

[ New ]

I did some more testing today, everything seems stable when I'm sitting down or walking. Instead, I run into disconnects when I'm out livestreaming my bike rides in New York City. Thus, I'm inclined to rule out any sort of intrinsic limitation and believe it's more like radio interference causing packet corruption, which may be triggering a bug or similar in the network stack.

It's curious a strong signal is not enough to prevent the problem, however. I still haven't been able to reproduce any notable errors on the server side...

Hiker

[ New ]

Ok I've gotten around to doing more testing, I'm fairly convinced that there is a bug somewhere in the GoPro networking stack that's causing this issue. I periodically lose connection with Network Error even on a very stable connection to a home router with a wired PC attached. The most I can gather is it happens more frequently on devices with weaker radios or when I don't have direct line of sight. Perhaps it's due to a corrupted packet or something?

In either case, it causes a force disconnect of my streaming instead of reconnecting or recovering like usual, which is incredibly annoying.