Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Tourist

QR Codes output in SVG

[ New ]

Just getting started into GoPro Labs' QR Codes, and I'm really liking them.
However, I don't want to use my cell phone everytime I want to switch to different codes.

Obviously they can be printed, however they're stuck at a set resolution.

As a QR Code user, I'd like to have my QR codes generated as SVGs.
My specific case is that I want to create tags I can put on a key ring, or similar attachment.
I have a laser cutter I want to use to make them out of mixed materials, to make them more rugged and some artistic appeal.

A few other ideas this would make possible:
Larger QR codes would allow them to be placed as posters.

Then any GoPro user could scan a posted QR code, for suggested settings in the immediate area.
For example, at the top of a ski lift, at a beach, or at a welcome sign for hiking trails.

Side Note: With this, it'd be nice for GoPro to create a branded frame to go around the codes.

This is speculation, I haven't tried the QR codes in a low light condition, but I'd expect that a larger code would read more easily.

Ideal for maintaining your night vision, rather than looking at a bright cell phone.

Or combined with the idea of creating physical tags, we could put a low brightness LED in them to make them readable.

Similarly, if you have settings that work for a specific location or activity, and for both day and night, this would allow putting each on different sides of a tag.

And, gowing off the deep end here, QR Code Dice =)

GoPro provides a lot for creativity in front of the camera.

SVGs would allow for creativity behind it.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: QR Codes output in SVG

[ New ]
The QR Code is just a text string, so you can generate them anywhere.  In the app and on the web portal, the string is displayed under "QR Command:"  Copy the text into any QR Code generator, there are hundreds free on the web that create SVGs.  

I have printed them large, but have not bothered with the SVG step as the images on the web portal are not anti-aliased, there are no grey pixels they will scale poorly.  This means you can scale it to much larger sizes using a fast nearest neighbor scaler (the faster mode in IrfanView, my favorite imaging tool) without any artifacts. Poster size without SVG is straight forward.  Easy either way.

Printed is always best. The screen is fine in low light, it is in direct sunlight that it can have an issue.  

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Re: QR Codes output in SVG

[ New ]
The QR Code is just a text string, so you can generate them anywhere.  In the app and on the web portal, the string is displayed under "QR Command:"  Copy the text into any QR Code generator, there are hundreds free on the web that create SVGs.  

I have printed them large, but have not bothered with the SVG step as the images on the web portal are not anti-aliased, there are no grey pixels they will scale poorly.  This means you can scale it to much larger sizes using a fast nearest neighbor scaler (the faster mode in IrfanView, my favorite imaging tool) without any artifacts. Poster size without SVG is straight forward.  Easy either way.

Printed is always best. The screen is fine in low light, it is in direct sunlight that it can have an issue.