Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Tourist

PIR sensor with the GoPro Hero8

[ New ]

With the new QR code reader. 
Would it be possible to attache a PIR motion sensor, so that the camera can get trigger from sleep mode. 

or even when it is swithched off to wake up and start recodring for a pre determind duration, instead of motion. 

The pupose for this would be for cameratraping and having a requiremnt for the animal to enter the frame, instead of already being there when the camera starts recoding. 

Screenshot 2020-06-04 at 9.33.13 PM.png
GoPro

Re: PIR sensor with the GoPro Hero8

[ New ]

Agreed.  Not currently supported in this GoPro Labs firmware.

Tourist

[ New ]

That would be great. 
If it's possible to chat with an engineer from gopro about this and seeing how this might be a possibilty. 

GoPro

[ New ]

I am an engineer from GoPro, so you are doing that.  This would best implemented via a BLE trigger.  

Hiker

[ New ]

I'd love to be able to use gopros for camera trapping too, is there any way to use a BLE trigger with a GoPro 8 today 0dan0? 

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi dan.
It would be great continuing this conversation.
We have been camera trapping extensively in india and have used a variety of traps including traps designed by Nat geo. In the documentary by rowan Donovan “kingdom of the white wolves” they have been able to attach a PIR sensor onto a hero 4 (not a Nat geo Design) if something similar can be done with the hero 8.
We have used triggers from companies such as Camtraptions and trail masters and from cam-do for gopro (which did not work) ..
2 problems I would think would be the power bank up and the casing for the camera.
What would be your thoughts on this. Also I’ve not come across a BLR trigger could you please share some details on that.
In the photo that I shared above. This was taken using the gopro WiFi remote app at about 20 meters on the extreme limit of the WiFi range of the camera. Would you know of a possibility to increase the range of the trigger. Since I’ve had some frustrating scenarios filming animals with the WiFi remote app losing signal.
GoPro

[ New ]

In the pictured image, the current motion detection capture would likely work well.   Adding BLE and WiFi triggers is possible today, I have not tried it, but there is some third party documentation on the subject.  Search on "GoPro BLE Control" and "GoPro WiFi Control."  There nothing I can say on the subject directly from GoPro at the moment, as we have only announced what we have announced. I can talk about what is in Labs now, not what might be in the future.  

As for external power, and casings, there are many third party options.  I've used this for long timelpase experiements https://www.3brpowersports.com/xpwr.php