Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Hiker

Night-Lapse mode

[ New ]

Why does the mNL (Night-Lapse mode) code appear on the Full List the Settings Commands web page (https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/settings/) and not in the QR camera modes Control Customizer ?. Similarly, in QR Control Customizer it appears in mTP (Timelapse Photo) mode which does not appear in Full List the Settings Commands.Is it an error of the web pages?

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Night-Lapse mode

[ New ]

The first is not an error, there are some bugs in the QR control code for enabling Night-Lapse, it only works in some circumstances.  It was removed to limit the frustration it would likely cause.  I will add mTP to the documentation.  

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

The first is not an error, there are some bugs in the QR control code for enabling Night-Lapse, it only works in some circumstances.  It was removed to limit the frustration it would likely cause.  I will add mTP to the documentation.  

Hiker

[ New ]
Thanks for responding about the Night Lapse mode capabilities.
I’ve actually been meaning to ask about the usability of mNL - mode Night-Lapse.
No matter what variables I pass to my camera, I can’t get it to switch to the Night Lapse mode.
In your comment, you mention there are bugs...and that the feature was removed to avoid frustration...
Is it going to eventually be supported via QR in a future release?
Really loving these new capabilities and would like to have settings via QR for my Night Lapse modes.

Thanks so much!
Cheers,
Joel
Newmediasoup
GoPro

[ New ]

Here is the trick. "mNL" will work, but only if the night lapse preset is set to beof type video. So you manual prepare the Night Lapse preset, it should work.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks for the clarification and taking the time to quickly respond.

I want to take Nightlapse RAW Photos, not Nightlapse Videos.

Is there a way to specifiy RAW Photo, or are you saying that mNL will work, but only in Video Night Lapse currently?

I'm using the following, but can't get it to reliably set the GoPro to RAW format, 30 second exposure, 30 second interval, etc.

mNLp.30e30cGw55i4S0x2sM

Seems like there's a parameter that might be missing. My camera says "Lens: Video" when applying the above.

Thanks in advance for the help.

If this is not currently possible, I would love to request RAW support in a future update.

Joel

Newmediaosup

GoPro

[ New ]

QR codes can't be used to set Night Lapse Photo, only video. Add e30 for 30 seconds exposure is currently another QR code bug, only e20 (20s exposure) is supported via QR Code. However you mode you want: RAW format, 30 second exposure, 30 second interval, etc. is not a mode on the camera, however if you set an auto interval, it will be very close to what you want (around 34s per exposure.)   

Hiker

[ New ]

I figured out a workaround for this problem.

1. Set your default preset (under preferences > general) to "Last Used Time Lapse"
  2. Navigate to the Time Lapse mode, and select "Night Lapse"
  3. Write a QR command that includes everything except the mode (m* command) switch.

Now, your camera will boot into Night Lapse by default (unless you go to another timelapse mode), and all your other settings can be configurable through the QR command. I've even tested this with boot mode off an SD card--so long as I switch to night lapse mode before powering the camera down, the camera will boot up, configure interval, max ISO, etc, and then begin capturing nightlapse photos.

Personally I see literally no reason for regular timelapse mode to even exist. Nightlapse is a much more flexible timelapse mode that accommodates longer shutter speeds when required.

Hiker

[ New ]

Can you share the code you used to be able to get photos instead of videos? I use LRtimelapse app so raw photos are much better.

Thank you

Hiker

[ New ]

To be clear, if you follow the instructions I posted above you will not have to switch into photo mode because the camera will automatically boot into nightlapse photo mode. It's all about changing the default boot mode.

The command I give it (after I've configured the GoPro to boot into nightlapse mode) is rp.60i1M1sL!S, which immediately starts my camera recording raw images at 60 second intervals at ISO 100 max and at low sharpness.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi I am really interested in doing this script on a schedule for night timelapse.
Is it possible to attach this onto a, say 2200-0600 schedule?