Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
GoPro

New Labs Firmware for HERO9 (V1.6)

[ New ]

Labs has a synchronous release with the HERO9 update today.  HERO9 is now on verion 1.60, Labs is 1.60.70. 

The new HERO9 v1.60 firmware adds:

• Improved camera power on/power off speed and consistency
  • Improved Quik app connectivity
  • Improved touch screen sensitivity in menus and settings
  • Improved reliability when using ‘The Remote’ to control your camera

It also introduces Open GoPro, a Wireless API for developers to create new ecosystems: https://gopro.com/en/us/news/open-gopro-announce

The Labs version 1.60.70, includes all of the above and:

• Sound Level Trigger to start and stop captures based on environmental loudness.
  • Optional camera encryption and decryption for media for secure captures.
  • Timecode reading and syncing via the Media Mod audio line-in.
  • Daily Timelapse GoPro Plus auto upload.
  • Logo burn in to video/live stream/webcam output.
  • Controls for HDMI output via Media Mod (see HDMI https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/extensions/).
  • Microphone controls MUTE/SOLO/GAIN.
  • Fixes for Motion Detection masking

Download from: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Introducing-GoPro-Labs/ta-p/603173

GoPro

Re: New Labs Firmware for HERO9 (V1.6)

[ New ]

All these new Labs features came from user requests, 90% on this forum.  Keep the ideas coming.

Hiker

[ New ]

the daily upload to the cloud is AMAZING NEWS!!! 

No to check if it works!! Has anyone done any testing on this??

Espen

Hiker

[ New ]

In addition..

How do we enable the camera to upload to Cloud when running a timelapse script??

Espen

GoPro

[ New ]

Go to https://qrcntrl.com to see all the latest scripts. This is a short cut to https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/

The script command to force an upload is: !U

The new daily timelapse script uses it: https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/dailytl/

Hiker

[ New ]

How can this be added to a daily image capturing sequence?
Can it be added to this?
mPdP>07:59<17:00!600SQ~!08:00S!1R

Nomad

[ New ]

Thanks for the upload!

GoPro

[ New ]

Note: You have to have your camera is already configured (via the Quik App) to enable auto upload to the GoPro cloud.

Then this script should upload at the end of each day (although untested.)

mPdP>07:59<17:00!600SQ<08:00!08:00S>17:00!U+!08:00S!1R

GoPro

[ New ]
Please report your findings with which new feature.
Hiker

[ New ]

Thats GOLD as usual Dan!!

I will test tomorrow and let you know.

Espen

GoPro

[ New ]

@espusen

HERO9 Labs should be more reliable for extended time-lapses. Some of the mainline enhancements help greatly with camera stability, there are also improved dead-lock testing in the Labs code. But there is one more hack you might consider looking into. !MWAKE=1 This will cause the camera to boot with USB power, but continue the last script. This is like the power USB control, without the script saying now wait for USB.  Now consider a multiple month timelapse, for some reason the camera's wake timer doesn't wake the camera. This is the random thing that is stopping some long form TLs. With a dedicated housing like yours, add a USB power source on a timer, switching power off, and on once per day (when the camera should be off.)  This will effectively reset the camera, and get the script running again.  So if the camera's wake timer fails, fewer images with be lost.

With a script like this: mPdP>07:59<17:00!525SQ~!08:00S!1R You could turn the power off at midnight, and on at 1am, and the script would run again.

Or you can use USB power on timer to do it all, with a BOOT command, and completely bypass the camera's timer.

!SAVEboot.txt=mP!1S!5O <- this way the camera just boots, set photo, press shutter and then shuts down.

!MBOOT=boot.txt <- load the boot script on boot. 
!MWAKE=1 <- and it will do this whenever the USB power goes on

I haven't tested the second approach for reliability, and I much prefer the first, or that the camera's timer is reliable.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks Dan

These are great ideas. I have not had massive issues with the timer during testing but some of our clients have.

The biggest problems during timelapse have alway been power related. If power drops off and the camera looses the time or otherwise looses the programming, will cause the entire shoot to be wasted.
This is where the daily or even hourly upload comes in very handy. It is living proof that the camera is working ok.

Scheduling the power to the camera on the script you wrote is an idea I will explore, however in my mind you are only shifting the problem sideways. You still need a reliable timer. 
I have tried for 3 years to get hold of a power frugal 5V USB timer that could be used in exactly this manner to power a WiFi dongle for the upload. Both RasPi and Arduinos are far to power hungry to be of any use. In addition they add complexity.

Complexity is the enemy of execution.

I think I will put my faith in the GoPro updates that no doubt will keep coming now that it is open source.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi Dan,  great new! this new release is very promising, are you planning to implement those futures to H8 labs as well?

If yes, when can we expect an update?

GoPro

[ New ]
I had hoped we could do HERO8 Labs with matching features at the same time, but engineering/QA bandwidth didn't allow for that. Later in the year is possible.
Hiker

[ New ]

Hey @0dan0 
IT WORKS!!
For the bench test I did a full days schedule as in the command string previously suggested. 
I also altered the time for the upload to check if it would do it and then resume the timelapse which it did.
This was with a very poor internet connection so upload took a long time.

Next will be a Field-Test with a timed dongle.
I want to know if it resumes the last uploaded image if it is interrupted.

Is there a way to have the upload say, every hour?

Espen

GoPro

[ New ]

It should sync all new media, interrupted or not.

A more complex script could do a upload every hour. Something like this would take six photos per hour then upload after each batch of six: 

!SAVEtesttime=mPdP>07:59<17:00!Lhourshot~!08:00S!1R

!SAVEhourshot=!575S!575S!575S!575S!575S!575S!U!Ltesttime

Start with: !Ltestime

Not so simple, also you might get a few more photos after the planned end time.

It might also work as a single script mPdP>07:59<17:00!575S+!575S+!575S+!575S+!575S+!575S+!U~!08:00S!1R

None of this is tested.  Very Labs.

Sightseer

[ New ]
I have not been able to get
!HDMI=1
to work. I have the newest firmware and app version installed.
Sightseer

[ New ]

Ok, my bad. I did not realize it was part of the metadata command string. For those wondering it should be !MHDMI=1

GoPro

[ New ]
Does the HDMI output hack perform like you had hoped?
Tourist

[ New ]

Bonjour,

Merci pour cette mise à jour 1.60.70 qui semble enfin stable, j'avertis juste sur un soucis sur la page francophone pour telecharger cette derniere mise a jour. La page francaise Découvrez GoPro Labs - GoPro Support Hub envoie toujours vers la mise à jour 1.50.70.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks, we will get the other languages updated on the website/

Tourist

[ New ]

Does this version also fix the color shift through the middle of the sensor that was fixed in non labs 1.52, but present in labs 1.50.72?

Diddnt see it mentioned in the actual patchnotes.

GoPro

[ New ]

This is base on 1.60 firmware, so the split screen error is fixed.

GoPro

[ New ]

All the download links have been updated for all languages now.

Tourist

[ New ]

Anyone had a simmilar issue with their camera?
i had issues with 70% of my recordings stopping early when i was at a gig chasing race cars with my drone this weekend (but the camera showed it was recording as normal) >.< thankfully i wasnt there for the gopro material but to help with the livestream.

So i changed to a different sd card and had it record my aquarium, with a fan cooling the camera.
This is what i saw after 59minutes of recording. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciFTWs9QONs

If i have a look through the video files it has recorded video for ~45 minuts, then the video freezes but the audio is still recording.
Currently reverting firmware to see if it does the same with a older one.

GoPro

[ New ]

Labs doesn't not modify capture, unless you instruct it to do so.  So have been running any camera modifications with Labs, like larger chapters or overlays?  However, I'm not aware on any Labs commands that could cause this. 

Hiker

[ New ]

If there is an external power source on a timer, does !MWAKE=1 require the battery? From what I found, the camera looses programming without the battery.

Also, the battery causes issues with time-lapse as well. If it charges to long, the camera freezes up and the little red light of death will not turn off without taking out the battery.

Hiker

[ New ]

Is there a way to just write the script file directly and save it to the SD card without requiring the QR programming?

Thanks,

Teranne

Hiker

[ New ]

0dan0,

The link (https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/extensions/) dictates "WAKE=1 - This will make the camera wake on any power addition, but only if there is a delay action pending (determined by a delay.bin file in the MISC folder, created automatically with wake timer events.) "

What type of delayed action is needed? I programmed the camera using the following QR codes you provided, but did not have any luck:

!SAVEboot.txt=mP!1S!5O

!MBOOT=boot.txt
!MWAKE=1

I do not believe this creates a delay.bin file in the MISC folder.

I need the camera to boot when it sees power, take a picture, then immediately turn off. I would like to avoid using the battery. Can you assist with the coding?

Thanks,

Teranne

Tourist

[ New ]

Guess ill have to rma this camera Again then :(
Literally just got the first replacment camera before the gig.

Its giving SD card errors with three different cards that worked fine before. 1.6 ends up with htat corrupted backscreen, 1.21 just says sd error.

GoPro

[ New ]

Teranne,

Interesting, WAKE=1 was intended as a backup for time delay script that my have failed due to power failure.  You try using the USB trigger.  see https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/usb/  Something like this command: !uNmP!1S!R