Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Tourist

New Feature suggestion for useful battery statistics

[ New ]

Hi,

I thought about a feature which in my opinion can be very useful for both users and GoPro:

- I suggest to record the state of the battery before and after a video is captured, and the settings of the camera (resolution, frame rate, etc.), and use this data to present the user statistics of battery cost for each video setting used. 

- It can be useful for users since it can help to plan the shoot, which settings to use, and the number of batteries you need to take with you. A step forward of this feature can be a planner application that you can input the settings you want to use and it tells you the expected duration of each battery. 

- It can be useful for GoPro since it can gather usage data and battery data from users. Also, GoPro can detect when batteries degrade and suggest users to purchase new ones.

* because 3-rd party batteries exist, and also battery performance may change over time, I suggest to collect the data on a per-device basis.

I'd be happy to have this feature. I hope you'll find it useful as well.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: New Feature suggestion for useful battery statistics

[ New ]

I'm sure there are folks at GoPro that know all of this, but I'm not directly in that loop.  But you can somewhat collect this information yourself if you use the QR Codes for starting and stopping a capture.  Consider the command mVr1080p60!S!1800E!30N

This will set mode Video, then 1080p60, then start recording, stop half an hour later, then shutdown.  Inside the log file (located MISC/qrlog.txt) you will see these lines:

[2020-08-23 16:06:10 64% 29c] Read QR:mVr1080p60!S!1800E!30N
[2020-08-23 16:36:15 33% 41c] Shutdown and Sleep:10 seconds

[DATE  TIME  Battey%  BatteryTempInC]

So you can automatically run through all the modes with QR Code scripting and extract the battery usage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

I'm sure there are folks at GoPro that know all of this, but I'm not directly in that loop.  But you can somewhat collect this information yourself if you use the QR Codes for starting and stopping a capture.  Consider the command mVr1080p60!S!1800E!30N

This will set mode Video, then 1080p60, then start recording, stop half an hour later, then shutdown.  Inside the log file (located MISC/qrlog.txt) you will see these lines:

[2020-08-23 16:06:10 64% 29c] Read QR:mVr1080p60!S!1800E!30N
[2020-08-23 16:36:15 33% 41c] Shutdown and Sleep:10 seconds

[DATE  TIME  Battey%  BatteryTempInC]

So you can automatically run through all the modes with QR Code scripting and extract the battery usage.

Tourist

[ New ]

Awesome!

I was not familiar with the QR scripting, it's amazing! I'll think if I can get these logs also during 'manual' use somehow (if possible). Do you know if there's a section of the documentation that explains what each command outputs to the logs? I couldn't find it. It can be helpful to know what commands generate the line with the battery status.

thanks a lot!

GoPro

[ New ]

These logs are for QR command debugging, so they only report when using QR Codes. So not all actions generate a log, like manually powering off the camera will not. I used !30N, to generate the shutdown log message. You will have to experiment.