Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Sightseer

Motion detection missing the JPEG files

[ New ]

My GoPro Hero 8 does not create the JEPG files, that show where de motion was fist detected. 

also the MISC folder is nowhere to be found. olny the DCIM and the 100GOPRO folder are on the SD card.

am i missing a setting?

After a couple of hours of repeated motion capture, you are still likely to have many false positives, resulting in more MP4 files than you need. We have a solution to help you narrow down to the best shots. For each capture start, the camera will create a JPEG showing where the motion was detected. So if you are looking for a ground animal and a bird flies by, the detection would show a patch in the sky. The JPEG is stored in the MISC folder, with a matching file number to the MP4 created. Sometimes it is faster to scan these JPEGs to find the videos you want?

https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/motion/

GoPro

Re: Motion detection missing the JPEG files

[ New ]

The MISC folder is in the root of the SD card.  It is standard for all GoPros.

MiscFolder.png
Nomad

[ New ]

I also had the problem that the JPG files were missing. On the first try it worked as described. There were all JPG files and all MP4. Then I deleted the pictures and videos and tried again. All MP4 were saved, but no JPG!

Apart from that, nothing is recorded in this mode with very little light! If I record a video manually, there would be enough light for it ... (with image noise, but still a recognizable recording).

GoPro

[ New ]
It is not too surprising that low light doesn't detect motion well.  The added sensor noise at a higher ISO would mean you need to detect motion with a lower sensitivity to avoid false positives, yet at lower sensitivity it will detect less motion.  I know it could be tuned for lower light, but the more compute intensive algorithm would likely reduce response time.  It is currently designed to be as fast as possible, and tuned for sensor noise of 100 ISO.  We need a night mode for motion detection.

As for not writing JPEGs, that is weird. In the code, if the motion triggers a capture, it will also right the JPEG, there aren't separate code paths.  Format your SD card, and let me know if it happens again.
Nomad

[ New ]

If the SD card is freshly formatted, it works (with 2 out of 2 attempts). Only if I delete the pictures / videos individually, should there be a problem.

GoPro

[ New ]

I can't get it to fail.  Deleting files between captures, JPEG and MP4.  PC and Mac, multiple iterations. Never failed for me.  I once saw a MISC folder in DCIM (that shouldn't be there) and it was correctly empty of JPEGs (I think it was my error, Macs and me don't agree.)  The MISC folder you want should always be in the root of the card, and that had the correct files.