Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Hiker

Long term Time-Lapse housing

[ New ]

Hi all

Just to let you know what we are up to at AltoFocus.co.uk

We build and sell weatherproof housings for the GoPro. You can find them on our website and also on Amazon for those of you based in the US and Canada.

We have been doing professional timelapse with GoPros for 5 years and I am experimenting with the QR scripts on our HERO 8 and 9 cameras.

When hooked up to a 12Ah battery I got 18 days shooting on a 10 min schedule! 
With a Solar panel attached this will record as long as there is memory on the SD card.

Has anyone cracked the upload feature as well as this?

Espen 

Hero 8 Reduced.jpg
Hiker

Re: Long term Time-Lapse housing

[ New ]

Hi, very interesting, could you share with us what was your QR code for that test? and how many cycles (wakeing up) have you achieved before unexpected shotdown or just not wakeing up at alarm?

I'm testing it for a quite a long time and it's super inconsistent.

There was a time that gopro h8 failt to wake up after long 9h sleep, and another time after 20 days of shooting, it just stopped, refusing to wake up.

It all was tested with internal battery and USB power battery and without internal battery only USB power.

I was testing it with dc-dc step up and step down converters etc.

For now the best option is just to wake up gopro once per day to start Photo Timelapse.

Waking up just for a 1 photo and puting it back to sleep was a nightmare.

Super inconsistent and unreliable.

For now I'm making only test with H8 on different settings, but still using my Canon mirrorless cameras and Linux microcomputers for the real job!

Hiker

[ New ]

My experience was pretty faultless to be honest. No missed shots.

I put the QR code on our group https://www.facebook.com/groups/AltoFocus.argus
It is the standard Construction Timelapse code set for our normal construction schedule, 0900-1700, 10 min interval.

In my experience doing timelapse with GoPro, 80% of all issues are to do with power. As long as an external Battery bank is plugged in, ensure you have NO internal battery. Also ensure your Battery bank is of the "always on" type as most are not.
Otherwise you will get some randomness as the Power Bank decides to go to sleep.

Espen

Hiker

[ New ]

https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/set/?cmd=mPdP>07:59<17:00!585SQ~!08:00S!1R

This is your code to break it down:

mP - photo mode

dP - last used Photo mode
time conditions - between 7:59 and 17:00

!585SQ - take a quick photo in 585sek

~ - otherwise

!08:00S - wait till 8:00 and then take a photo

!1R - reboot (repeat) in 1 sek

You claim it run for 18 days which is 8:00 to 17:00 round 9 hours a day in 585sek approx. 10min interval which give us:
(9*60)/10=54*18=972 photos total (972 wake-ups) it's not even close to 2000 that 00dan00 measure as a safe margin for internal alarm.

As GoPro claim that H8 can take up to 400 photos on internal battery.

"The Labs’ firmware allows for much longer time-lapses, on the internal battery alone, by powering off the camera between photos (sorry no video mode time-lapse.) It also supports intervals beyond 60 seconds. A fully charged HERO8 can take around 400 photos, which you can spread over several hours or several days for long form time-lapse."

So 972 photos it's not bad but still not good for ex. construction time-lapse don't you think?

Let me know if you will try to hook it up with solar panel and run it over 2000 photos (over 33 days with 10min interval).

I ran many test with 10min or 3min intervals for weeks, months etc.

And it was something that I can not relay on for a real jobs.

GoPro consumes about 350mAh when up, it's almost the same much as many Linux microcomputers on the market. You can upload images, send email's etc. also you can plug it into powerbank, and they support dummy load to prevent them for switching off and there is no wake up limitations, you can set a watch dog on it to report status of almost all kind of parameters, and change your camera settings too.

Downside is a size of camera because there is no reliable software to control a GoPro via USB :(

GoPro is still locked up for USB data protocols etc. 

But for small jobs or hobby LABS is a great feature, and I can't wait to see what it will bring next to this tinny cameras :D

Hiker

[ New ]

Ok, I see.

All I wanted to test was the power endurance with a 12Ah battery.
I was not aware of the 2000 cycle issue which is interresting.

I will hook one up to a solar and run a test schedule on 5 min intervals to get the required number of cycles quicker. 
It is a shame if this is an issue as you say it then becomes useless for construction timelapse.

I will try again!

We use the CamDo controller whilst waiting for someone to crack the Timelapse/upload script...

Espen

Hiker

[ New ]

As I heard a rumor that CamDo has got an NDA with GoPro, and their products are the only reliable option for the job.

Hiker

[ New ]
Having worked closely with CamDo over many years I have had many meetings with them and I doubt that personally. They are fighting the same battles we are.

They invested very heavily in the development of the Blink years ago, and are still trying to up level their controllers. They are however being outpaced by GoPro as they are releasing a new model before CamDo is able to ensure compatibility with the previous design.

UpBlink is only really useful for the HERO 5, and they are hard to come by anymore.

It is still costeffective from a business point of view. Much cheaper than a DSLR Timelapse model.
Hiker

[ New ]

Thought my post might be of some interest -- As it solves many field issues. The picture video really tells the story -- It's all plug-n-play. 

One can use just one battery as illustrated or one may install 2 batteries and run in parallel. The battery is switch controlled and when on is always on. The bridging/charge cable is included with the battery. 

What's not pictured but on order is a HME 12V battery/box w/solar panel. This will plug into the battery bridging cable - It's all plug-n-play. This final addition should solve the battery and charging issue for field use. 

The mount used is from RAM Mount -- It's their HD roll bar mount. 

Here's the video: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXDx1cLCR3E

I'm really enjoying this setup -- Works very well. 

Hiker

[ New ]

LOVE THIS!!

Thanks for posting!

Espen

Hiker

[ New ]

My project is now complete as I've received the HME - Buit a mount and installed. Here is what the complete package now looks like. Thought this might be of some interest as It's all plug-n-play and provides a rather large battery combination for the cam and all batteries are served by the solar panel. Here's the final video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DQwjT0wxfk

I might experiment in the future on using the HDMI port on the cam and use a wireless transmitter/receiver and interface the video into Blue Iris as a remote way to work with what the cam captures. I also might experiment with a Cam Ranger as this would allow wireless Pan and Tilt to the housing. So many options .. .. 

FUN Times .. .. Smiley Happy

Sightseer

[ New ]

I did not find the housing on Amazon.

Hiker

[ New ]
Sightseer

[ New ]

Thank you very much for the links. I just ordered the housing and GoPro 9 adapter. 

Again, thanks.

Hiker

[ New ]

Great! Thanks for the order!

Have a look on the website AltoFocus.co.uk/shop
If you need any brackets etc I will wave the shipping cost for you as the HERO 9 Adapter is sent from here in the UK anyway.

Also here is a 10% code for you as well. type PARTNER10 in at checkout.

Send us some pictures of it in use! We love to see how people use it!

Espen

Sightseer

[ New ]

Ordered a mount, too. 

Will mount on pole for time lapse of house being built. Should be about 6 months worth.

Thanks again.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Did you find out if the 2000 photo limit was ever an issue? Looking to get one of your units for a job but I need to know if it'll be reliable enough to use, as I will be going over 2k photos. Cheers.

Hiker

[ New ]
Hi there

I have not had an issue with that restriction personally but there are some users that are reporting issues.
The problem seems to be the wake up timer. There is a workable solution to this in that you can start the onboard timelapse program once per day. If you have a GoPro I would suggest you do a bench test. If your camera works then you have one of the “good ones”
Send us an email on info@altofocus.co.uk if you want more info.

All the best

Espen