Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Hiker

Long run timelapse--recovering from a power outage

[ New ]

I have some cameras set up at a construction site that are going to be running continuously for the next several months. The worksite is 5 hours round trip, so not a place I can check daily or even weekly, even if the budget afforded it.

One of the biggest issues I have is power loss--things get unplugged periodically, breakers get turned off, etc.

I was hoping that the USB power trigger would solve this problem for me by either (a) powering down before the battery was exhausted and/or (b) powering up and starting my timelapse upon reconnection. However, the trigger doesn't seem to work that way--the camera continues to roll until the battery is exhausted, then when the power returns it just starts charging the battery.

Are there any other solutions I'm not thinking of? Is it possible to adapt how the USB Power Trigger works to accomplish this?

Hiker

Re: Long run timelapse--recovering from a power outage

[ New ]

So I've done a little more exploring into the commands. It seems as though the problem is that the !u[time]E command doesn't work with timelapse mode. However, the ![time]E command does work in timelapse photo mode, which leads me to believe that there is no reason why !u[time]E should not.

It would be super awesome if the team could expand the USB disconnect option to work with timelapse for the reason I've posted--allowing the camera to automatically recover from a power outage. A fair number of us in here are doing long timelapses in areas that may have power that is not reliable at all times. At present, if we're running in timelapse photo mode and we experience an outage, the camera will run until the battery is discharged, then it will die and never reboot and start capturing again. If instead the camera waited (for example 300 seconds) in case it was a short power outage, then shut itself down with an !R, the camera would then happily begin recording again once the USB power was restored.

This would be invaluable in improving my GoPro's resiliency in environments that aren't all that accessible. Am I missing something or could this be possible?

Tourist

[ New ]

Good afternoon, kitastrophe, I wanted to clarify your experience in shooting construction.

Do I understand correctly that with GoPro photos are not transmitted to the server? How do you control the operation of the cameras if you are not near them?

And have you learned how to change at least some parameters remotely in GoPro?

As for the USB Power Trigger - if the GoPro is set to take photos, and turn on the power to the USB in a certain period, for example, every 15 minutes - will the GoPro take a photo every time you turn it on?

I will be grateful for your answers! If it is more convenient we can go to the e-mail kinolet@gmail.com 

Hiker

[ New ]

My set up is fully powered so there is no reason to power down the GoPro in between shots. Introducing that would add another point of failure to the long term timelapse so I haven't explored that option.

I do not manage the cameras remotely. I do have someone on-site who periodically checks to make sure they're still running, and in the event that they are not, power cycles the cameras. Using the protocol I described above, after a power cycle the GoPro will automatically switch to the correct mode and begin recording again using the predetermined settings.

There isn't a reason why I would want to change settings mid-lapse.

Tourist

[ New ]

Joining the thread as I encounter the same needs you are describing.

I have tested several usages including using a boot script, usb triggering and regular timelapse.

If I use the original gopro battery, the recording is eventually stops (usually after a couple of hours).

On the other hand, USB triggering requires internal battery or else the gopro will not wake up, behaviour mentioned in the documentation

A boot script to trigger photoshooting once power is restored was not helpful as well since it hasn't been triggered, unless the camera was manually turned on.

It seems to me that at the moment the only solution for long reliable timelapses is to rely on a reliable power source with timelapse settings. Am I correct?

Is there a way to combine both the gopro camera internal battery with external power source to allow usb triggering to recover from power outage on timelapse mode?