Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Tourist

Long exposure from 30 sec to 5 min

[ New ]
Hi! It's possible to increase night foto shutter speed from 30 sec to 5 min through GoPro Labs?
GoPro

Re: Long exposure from 30 sec to 5 min

[ New ]

If you are suggesting increasing the exposure time beyond 30s per frame, that is not possible on this hardware. 

Tourist

[ New ]
Do you another way to increase sgutter speed to 5 min?
GoPro

[ New ]

Are we talking exposure time?  No, the camera can't expose for 5 minutes.  If you are trying to do astro-photography, in 5 minutes, the sky moved 3 pixels, so the image would be blurry.  At 30s, the sky has only moved 0.26 pixels, so still pretty sharp.  So it is better to use 30s, with more gain, then stack the images to generate the effect of longer exposures, re-aligning the images to counter Earth rotation. If you are using a tracking mount, then the stacking process is easier, and you still don't need 5 minute exposures.

Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks for answer. Yes, we are talking about exposure time. I mean long exposure fotos of water with nd filters, like do it photographers with remote to dsl cameras. On this remote they use shutter time from 1 to 5 min. You can see it in instagram of nisi filters, for example.
GoPro

[ New ]
Photo stacking also works here. There is no difference between one 5 minute photo, and 12 x 30s exposures that are stacked. The output is the same. Unfortunately ND will not be enough. An ND 1000, or 10-stops of ND is about the best you will find. A GoPro is a fixed F2.8, you can't control the aperture. In daylight the exposure is 1/1920th of second at ISO 100. So even with a 10-stop ND, you can only expose for 1/2 a second, not 30 (it would be clipped to white.) You need an ND with 16 stops to get to 30s, they don't exist (not with any quality). You can get the same effect with ND32 (5-stops) shooting video, then stack the video (it can look the same, better really, than a 5 minute exposure.) Sadly the very very old GoPro Studio (no longer available) had in-built stacking, not sure what to recommend instead.
Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks for information. What you mean "and 12 x 30s exposures that are stacked. The output is the same"? I have nd1000 and nd2000 filters. At day nd1000 gives 2-5 sec max (how you say), nd2000 gives 5-10 sec. And the fotos are very good, but, when I see in youtube videos about fotos with 5 min exposure in the evening, I want to try do like that to see the result:) Sport interest:)
GoPro

[ New ]

Read up on photo stacking.  It have nothing to do with GoPro, you can do it will any source.

Tourist

[ New ]
Ok