Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Hiker

Labs firmware request - Camera Rotate while live streaming streaming

[ New ]

Hi there, I DO NOT have the orientation lock on, the camera performs normally in regular video mode, which when I hang it upside down it will reorientate itself. I use it as a dash cam and want to stream from it. But when I go live, (when the camera is mounted in the dash it's upside down) the stream then becomes upside down. A temporary work around is for me to rotate it in OBS, but, if I ever turn the camera right side up we're back to square one lol. So auto rotate while live streaming is a thing we need! 

Also, can we get an update on the go pro labs firmware? my app tends to see the older version number and want to update my camera. 

Thank you. 

GoPro

Re: Labs firmware request - Camera Rotate while live streaming streaming

[ New ]

Hi @itsjustrobby

We are continuously working on improving the experience of our users.
We'll have this shared with the team in charge.

Please continue checking our website for updates.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Do you guys have SF Bay area meetups where you can engage with your customers and learn first hand some of the unique ways we are using the gopro product? Often times while using this camera (hero 9) I find myself shaking my head thinking. This could work so much better than it does right now. I don't claim to understand or know the solution, but I do feel like a better more direct hands on approach with your customers would be really helpful. 

Here's an example, the gopro hero9 is NOT a good dash cam, while you CAN use it with the max lens mod and the media mod makes it really nice to shoot car videos with (and you can easily pivot the camera to face out the front of the windshield or turn it around to face you if you are recording yourself talking say for like a video or something.) BUT, the gopro hero 9 gets too hot after I'd say about an hour or so of continued use and it shuts itself off. I get that you can take the battery out and run the camera directly with the USB Cable and that helps reduce the heat because we aren't charging the battery. But when the waterproof cases and accessories require you to dissasemble door flaps to access the battery it can sometimes become really cumbersome and not quick and easy to use. Which ideally, is what this product should be all about. 

Another example, When I go live and do RTMP streaming, --- I'm glad that you have the QR codes for beta users, i've found these very useful and think this may be a way to resolve a lot of the problems I'm experiencing, However I do not understand exactly how the QR codes work for RTMP live streaming. My question is this, can you just pair your gopro to a hotspot using the QR code and completely remove the phone/gopro application from the equation. I've had some luck with this, But i've found (in the past, not sure about current software) that I first have to teach my phone and application on the phone the camera, after all the hand shaking is done there. The device will then connect to whatever hotspot the QR code tells it to and begin live streaming --- I love this as a feature if / when it works well because it removes a device out of the hardware loop we are using to do live streaming. BUT, I don't love it as a feature when I have to fiddle with it and mess around with it for over 2-3 minutes fussing with it to finally connect to the desired hotspot. (I've noticed it particularly doesn't always see my iPhone hotspot) 

Another major thing that needs to be innovated/worked on is a first party accessory solution that allows me to quickly clip and remove the device from different mounts. If this exists let me know, I've seen a couple things but they don't really seem to be a great solution that actually works. I understand that we want to scure our camera's to our mounts and sometimes the thumbscrew is completley necessary, but I'd like to be able to pop the camera out of the dash cam mount and then put it on the chest mount EASILY lol. Like I said this probably exists somewhere but I just haven't found any really great solutions. 

Aside from the things i've mentioned here I'm pretty happy with the device for what I use it for. 

GoPro

[ New ]

I think the only Labs question is about RTMP streaming. It works as documented: https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/rtmp/   It does require that App be paired with the camera, but only once, but you don't have to do any Livestreaming via the App or set up any network credentials. I haven't done Livestreaming via the App since the QR code support was prototyped, so it is reliable. You will need a reliable access point (WiFi), I use a dedicated MiFi style unit when going mobile, rather than a phone hotspot, but that should work also.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Can't help you with your live streaming issue but I was as frustrated as you are with the lack of support on GoPro's part to create a viable option for removing the camera from one mount and attaching it to another without having to unscrew it first.  I just want to be able to hotswap from a chest mount to a selfie stick without all the hassle of having to unscrew the thumbscrew.  I was able to eventually make it work but only after having to order parts from "overseas" if you get my drift Smiley Wink

I can't understand why not one person who works for GoPro has not figured out that this is a major PITA and that a solution is not available to the consumer.  It was one of the first things I thought was an absolute necessity and when I discovered it wasn't available, I was shocked and the fact that I had to get the parts from overseas is a huge misstep for them. A multi million dollar company and this wasn't thought of?  I'm not that smart and I thought of it...maybe GoPro needs to hire me for their UX design team!

Hiker

[ New ]

They should hire me for their "product direction" team. I could help them direct the handshakes right off these camera's so they would be more accessable to other devices to use as eyeballs. Remove the unecessary handshakes and security. It's an eyeball not a nasa super computer.