Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Hiker

Labs feature request; White Balance Lock

[ New ]

I am so happy labs now works for 9 and 7. I have seen the lock exposure which is good. 
A great addition would be White Balance Lock. We really need this feature for advance underwater use. It happens very often that you get perfect colors with a particular framing and when you change framing the camera detects differente blue cast and the auto white balance totally changes white balance changing water and foreground color. Please let me know if I can experiment with this option, even if it implies introducting codes manually.

Thank you

GoPro

Re: Labs feature request; White Balance Lock

[ New ]
Can't you just use a fixed white balance raw than Auto?
Highlighted
Hiker

[ New ]

Not really, When the camera is in Auto WB it is compensating all kind of dominant cast, like green and purple tints. The fixed setting for WB only work in the blue-red axis and is very limited. The Auto WB can adjust much better the color for many of the lighting situations, but it varies so much that is not predictable. Raw WB requires a lot of post procesing in editing and doesn't look god out of the camera

Nomad

[ New ]

Yeah it's true that Auto white balance let's you fine tune exactly in interiors with artificial light in comparisson with manual control that is so limited that most of the times is wrong.

I see that working perhaps with a timer?: Scan QR code -> 5 seconds to Auto white balance -> Locked

PD: I usually like to use native wb to avoid color banding and color noise artifacts. A video RAW implementation is a crazy idea?