Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Highlighted
Hiker

Labs Feature Request - Dashcam Mode

One feature I'd like to see is a simple Dashcam mode with:

* Auto On when connected to power

* Auto record when turned on

* Auto stop/off when disconnected from power (+/- with a timer)

* Looped recording (erase oldest when memory full)

I predominantly use my GoPro for motorsports and its mounted on my daily driver like a dashcam. While I already have another dashcam, there are no dashcam brands that have an accelerometer/GPS on the same level as GoPro, which is great for recording things like: what speed/how many Gs was it when the tires lost traction in the snow/ice on the way to work, how many Gs was that emergency stop, etc. Since these events only happen once in a blue moon, not only do I need to collect a lot of footage, I also need to remember to turn on and record with my GoPro every times I drive. Some of the most interesting footage happens on the most mundane of drives, but its easy to forget to turn on my GoPro in the busy rush to get to work, or forget to turn off my GoPro once I've arrived. Some simple features in a 'dashcam' mode would greatly enhance the GoPro experience, and help plaster the GoPro logo across Russian dashcam videos on YouTube in the future.

Highlighted
Hiker

Betreff: Labs Feature Request - Dashcam Mode

Ich benutze meine Kamera für ähnliche zwecke und kann dir empfehlen QuikCapture in den Einstellungen unter "General" zu aktivieren und den Standard Aufnahmemodus auf Video zu stellen Dan musst du zum starten der Aufnahme nicht einmal die Kamera einschalten, sondern lediglich auf den "Aufnahme-Knopf"(den Roten) drücken und die Kamera fährt hoch und startet Automatisch eine Aufnahme. Sobald der Aufnahme Knopf erneut gedrückt wurde Stopp sie die Aufnahme und fährt Herunter.

Aber die von dir genannten Funktionen würden das natürlich noch weiter vereinfachen und ich hoffe auch das sie bald hinzugefügt werden.
Highlighted
Nomad

As it has now been found, the QuickCapture mode is unsuitable if GPS or gyro metadata is required for post-processing with ReelSteady or RaceRender - because then it will obviously not be recorded correctly!
Apparently there are problems with QuickCapture more often - so test BEFORE using whether everything works as expected afterwards!

Highlighted
Adventurer

[ Edited ]

This has been out for years

Power on=[1];set system power on time,0:delay,1:fast
Power off=[1];set system auto power off time when system pending,0:off,1:30 seconds,2:1 minutes,3:2 minutes,
Auto Record=[0];set connect or disconnect with power to start or stop video recording automatically,,0:off,1:on,
LED=[1];set LED flicker when recording,0:off,1:on,
Charge from USB Host=[0]; when connecting with USB host, charge camera or not,0:on,1:off

it is a TxT file, with a list of commands to the camera's firmware,  simply put in the sd card to the camera and press  the buttons, loads in, repeat to remove it from the camera.  it gets into the  firmware.  that said it is not for gopro but a company that has  cameras out there.

QR coding must have the camera in an "On" State to accept codes.  So you want this as a Dashcam.  We can forget about Motion detection, clearly says  the camera again must be on.   And we can again forget about gps start speed, the camera must be on. 

The only fesable way is to ask the Engineer Rep that is here if they will pass this to their Firmware teams to Enable  and add to the software: the features posted.

Otehrwise I totally agree with the QC, or the Mode on for GPS enabled.  Because that means GoPro again will have to work out why GPS is not enabling on auto on and record, where GPS needs  X Amount of seconds,, we can have the feature you want , but  not with GPS enabled.  So the question is do you think GPS can get enabled on auto turn on record.

Just some  of my thoughts outloud. Maybe on the Hero 9 we'll see Auto on record.

Highlighted
Nomad

Thank you so much! what should the file name for the .txt file be?

Highlighted
Adventurer

this is not  for Gopro it was of another camera that I said.      The other camera works with TxT files, what  I shown.

Highlighted
Hiker

Has there been any progress or ETA on when this feature could be added to future GoPros?