Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Hiker

Hindsight update on the GoPro Max

[ New ]

Any idea for a Hindsight update on the GoPro Max ? Will work great for the motion detection ..

GoPro

Re: Hindsight update on the GoPro Max

[ New ]

It would be nice to have Hindsight on MAX. However, Hindsight is a bit of a power hog, and the motion detection on MAX works even better than on the HERO line (at much lower power.)  In 360° modes the motion detection sees everything, so there is no object suddenly jumping in to the frame.  You don't need hindsight on MAX for great motion detection captures.

Hiker

[ New ]

Power no problem just add an external monopod battery, Just add it we will figure it out please ...

Like to get this shot not want to miss a shot ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SMSUBgZPjQ

Need to film in places you wouldn't want your hands? Cue #GoProMax. Filmed by #GoProFamily member Philippe Matteini in partnership with the Vanishing Treasur...
GoPro

[ New ]

Experiment, find the settings you need for your environment.

Tourist

[ New ]
I agree with the OP. Having the option to enable hindsight on the Max would make it more useful. Hope to see this as an option in the future. There are definitely situations where you want to lead into a scene with a few seconds prior to the action beginning.
Hiker

[ New ]

Hindsight would be useful on other models too, such as my Hero8.  When used with gyro or accelerometer motion detection, it could form the basis of a dashcam bump detector.  We can currently set the motion detector to trigger the stopping of a video, but in many cases we will want to record for a short time both before and after the trigger.

When using scene detection, the camera is always running and I wonder how much extra power would be needed for continuous writing to SD card, or possibly buffering a few seconds in RAM only?

Battery life is a separate issue, and one that GoPro hardware designers seem to generally ignore.  I was shocked to have to buy a third-party (Ulanzi) cover just to be able to keep the USB lead plugged in without leaving the battery compartment wide open.  (Where is the big-battery Mod, or the solar-power Mod?)