Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Hiker

Hindsight and (vision) motion triggers?

[ New ]

I'll be buying a couple of new GoPros for use as ultra portable 4k camera traps soon. I've been thinking I should go with 8's as that's what we have primarily. Also, it's cheaper and it's nice to not mix and match. :)

However, if I can use hindsight with the motion triggers - that'd be a big one! Can I? And what happens if the trigger event occurs before the buffer has filled up? For example - the camera triggers - records 30 seconds of behavior including a 10 sec hold and 15 sec hindsight. 5 seconds after the recording stops - 10 seconds before a 15 sec hindsight buffer is built up - the camera triggers again.

Would there be any issues?

Also, does anybody know how the 9's power consumption is when it's buffering the hindsight? Would I run a high risk of overheating if I ran it continuously for a couple of days (with a beefy battery pack)

Thank you!

GoPro

Re: Hindsight and (vision) motion triggers?

[ New ]

No issue with the timing of detection, it will work well.  However your second worry is the bigger issue. Hindsight uses as much power as full on capture, so running in a demanding mode like 4k will be an overheating risk.  I'm not sure you can run hindsight continuously, i.e. all day, I think it will time out to prevent heating issues.

Hiker

Re: Hindsight and (vision) motion triggers?

[ New ]

Thanks a lot Dan! That's really exciting! I think I'll have to try and find somebody I can borrow a hero 9 from before I go on a shopping spree. :) Maybe with my new confidence in the wake-up timer I could have two GoPros working shifts...? Also, for this project, we'll likely work in between -10 to -25 degrees C which could help with the overheating. :)