Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Backpacker

Hero Session 5 issues with labs firmware

[ New ]

There are currently several issues with labs on the session 5, the time lapse photo feature refuses to capture locking up the camera, after a reset if I try to start the time lapse from the camera it locks up for around 5 mins. When I check settings on the Quik app the photo resolution states unknown, the live preview fails to start. Timed capture also fails to operate 90% of the time. When a setting is incompatible such as time lapse obviously all other settings such as white balance etc fail to load. So far the new labs features to replace the settings removed from Quik are not working at all, to the point I have now downgraded the firmware back to non labs, which has now rendered the session useless also I have no way to check the white balance or beeps or led status.

GoPro

Re: Hero Session 5 issues with labs firmware

[ New ]

These are not something I've seen on other H5S cameras. There are only two known bugs, one related to Timelapse Video and the other is a missing QR Code for spot metering, but nothing like what you are reporting. Working on fixes for known issues. Can you give more detailed examples for each failure? Time Lapse Photo is working fine here with a long press on the shutter, so how did it fail for you? What timed captures didn't work so I can try and reproduce those issues?

Backpacker

[ New ]

Hi Dan,I will reinstall the labs firmware and report back. Just as a little side note it would be fantastic if there was a drop down box to select a camera with the available options and frame rates specific to the chosen model.

One of the last serious failures I encountered was a test scenario where I set the session up to start a time lapse (photo mode) in 2 mins

gopro did switch on but did not capture, I then manually switched to time lapse photo mode from the camera, pressed the shutter and the camera locked up and appeared off (blank screen) no button combo would turn on the GoPro. Only after about 5/10 mins did it come back on,

Backpacker

[ New ]

So I attempted !120NmTPp.2fWtcGw55x0sMv0oV7D2W0!S camera switches on takes no photos then remained frozen ( button press has no effect) for around 30secs before powering off

Backpacker

[ New ]

529DBBDF-6AE7-444D-B5F6-3FB862533C9B.png So following the failed attempt the camera reboots but as you can see the resolution is missing, in the app no setting change has an effect until I try reboot, the camera beeps to as if going off but stays on, I have to hold the menu button for several seconds to switch of the camera.

GoPro

[ New ]
This is the dedicated page for HERO5 Session
https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/session5/

I have confirmed that the mTP command for setting Photo Timelapse isn't working correctly. It will wake, and set the mode, just would start taking photos. I will investigate. Use mT instead for video time lapse, this worked fine: !120NmTp.2!S
Highlighted
Backpacker

[ New ]

Thanks for looking into the issues, I obviously used the dedicated page for the settings. I will keep the video setting until repairs are made, the missing info on the photo resolution seems a clue in the Quik app?

GoPro

[ New ]
Maybe. Porting the newer QR control features to the older camera wasn't a perfect fit. However, it does extend the camera abilities, particularly for video modes. The camera will function as a normal Session5 otherwise, so there should be no need to downgrade.