Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Hiker

Hero 9 randomly stops recording

[ New ]

Camera - Hero 9 Black

Firmware - 2020 Labs since Jan

SD card - SanDisk Extreme 128GB V30 A2

Been having this randoming stopping of video recording lately.  I ride my bicycle and have the camera record continuously for 1 hr or so.

There's no beep warning.  I randomly check on my chest mounted camera, the red light blinking.  Its only when get home and check the files that I notice there's less, and the recording stops in some random place.  Nothing in particular, like a bumpy road or something.

When I have to stop somewhere like a traffic light crossing, if i remember to stop the recording for a while and it took a bit of time for the camera to beep out, that's a sign that someone went wrong.

On a single ride today, i tried stop/starting at specific points in the route to avoid losing footages:

1st segment - 15+ mins - 3 files all good

2nd segment - 15+ mins - 3 files all good

3rd segment - 1 file stopped after 1+ min

4th segment - 1 file stopped after 4+ mins

5th segment - 6+ mins - 2 files all good

Same for my last 2 rides.  Today's ride, i tried cleaning cleaning the contacts of the SD card, so obviously it didnt help.

I record on high bit rate.  I don't notice the camera being unusually warm/hot.

Any suggestions?

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Hero 9 randomly stops recording

[ New ]
Seeing the occasional 50 Mb/s write speed, does explain captures stopped early, particularly when recording at 100Mb/s. Newer media should do the trick.

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Try running this QR Code for an SD card speed test.  https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/set/?cmd=oMSPED=1

That card should be excellent, but this will tell us a little more about your particular card.  This is not an official speed test, just a hack in Labs to get an idea of throughput. 

Please report you speed range.

GoPro

[ New ]
Also run the test a few times. While I don't see a capture issue here, one of my cards (non-approved) is quite varied in speed reporting a range 124-300Mb/s. Yet a recommended 64GB SanDisk Extreme is more constant, reporting 220-240Mb/s. If your SD card is falling too low for long enough time, the capture might stop. Cards do age, they will get slower with continual use.
Hiker

[ New ]

@0dan0 wrote:
Also run the test a few times. While I don't see a capture issue here, one of my cards (non-approved) is quite varied in speed reporting a range 124-300Mb/s. Yet a recommended 64GB SanDisk Extreme is more constant, reporting 220-240Mb/s. If your SD card is falling too low for long enough time, the capture might stop. Cards do age, they will get slower with continual use.

Thanks.  It may just be the card is showing its age.  Here are the figures just now:

280-290
  50-290
280 290
280-290
280-290
170-280
280-290
280-290
  50-290
280-290

Prior to this, i remember hitting below 200 (as low as 90) about 4 out of 12 times.

I bought this card specifically for this camera just last Dec, and used it pretty much like that, recording in 4K 25FPS in high bit rate between 1 and 1 hr 20 mins straight at least once a week.

I tried the same on my GoPro Hero 8, also on Labs firmware, but with a Strontium Endurance 128GB Class 10 A2 card:

230-440
220-410
230-460
210-458
240-500
270-360
210-460
200-460
240-510
230-440

Think i should swap the card for my next ride/run.

This is a good hack.  Will try out in my other cards.

GoPro

[ New ]
Seeing the occasional 50 Mb/s write speed, does explain captures stopped early, particularly when recording at 100Mb/s. Newer media should do the trick.
Hiker

[ New ]

Just back from my usual night ride...  used a card from my underused RX0 cam that's clocking 240-250 consistently... zero issues... problem solved.

Thanks!

Sightseer

[ New ]

Mine does same thing .. lost alot of fantastic footage .... pay that much for a camera and it stops working .... 8 minutes and 51 seconds ....smh

GoPro

[ New ]

See the above thread.  It proved to be the SD Card.

Nomad

[ New ]

@0dan0 

I ran this test several times and consistently get 71-84

I'm wondering if you could tell me if this is why sometimes my video freezes in higher resolutions and/or framerates? 

Nomad

[ New ]

I am using a PNY Elite-X 128gb card which is on the list

GoPro

[ New ]

That seems too slow.  Reformat the card in camera and test again (after backing up the contents.)

Nomad

[ New ]

After a format in the camera, it's showing 180 - 240 consistently.

But why?

Nomad

[ New ]

I always format the card in the camera after a day of shooting. So what would be the cause for the write speed changing?

GoPro

[ New ]

I don't know why some card slow down so much as their directory structure get complex. 

Nomad

[ New ]

@0dan0 

That answers my question

"Some cards slow down as their directory structure gets complex"

Thank you

Tourist

[ New ]

I struggle with the same issue, but it stops recording after 3-51 sec lately. Never when I try to provoke the issue but always when speedflying.

Hero9 black

Sandisk extreme 32GB/128GB V30 A1

Newest SW until I downloaded labs SW for the first time now.

It's like OP says, I get the single beep, 5 sec wait for the last beeps and know it was a bust.

I've shaked it way more than when launching and flying but it works flawless. It's not hot nor cold now.

Did the speedtest with stable results at aprox 230 MB/S, lowest was a dip at 190.

This have been a pain a long time, bought the Hero9 directly from Gopro with 2 SD cards. When I started to get the issue I swapped for the 32GB and performed a factory reset, didn't help.

Have used/tested it and it have been a bust 5/5 times, one skydive for some reason worked fine.

Nomad

[ New ]

Have you tried running the test after a "bust" without formatting the card first?

I ask this, because if I run the test on formatted card I get 180 - 240 but after I have the issue if I run the test I consistently get 71 - 84

Tourist

[ New ]
Yes I haven’t formatted the card since I put it in the camera the first time
Nomad

[ New ]

Here is what happens to me, now that I've had more time to test it and confirm.

It seems to only happen when I shoot in 1080p@120fps.

I run the speed test several times and have consistently fast speeds with or without files on the sdcard. I start shooting in 1080p, 120fps. Within minutes the video will glitch and then freeze on the preview screen, but the time is still counting and the light is still blinking until I stop the recording. Now the video looks exactly as the preview screen had looked, glitch, then freeze, but the audio continues along fine, just the frozen video. After this occurs, I run the speed test again, and the speeds are only 71-83, or similar. This happens even if the card was empty before I start the 1080p 120fps recording and the reported speeds were high beforehand as well. Is this a bug?

I can shoot multiple clips in various resolutions and framerates, but as soon as I use that one, the card has started to slow down?

Nomad

[ New ]

Of course I've reinstalled labs, reset defaults, formatted the card several times.

Now, it's not really an issue for me, and I kinda think it is perhaps sdcard related as these cameras seem really dependent on the sdcard used. I just don't shoot using those settings, but if it is a bug, I'd like it to be known.

Nomad

[ New ]
GoPro

[ New ]

Having a large ovarlay is knowm to causes issues.  Reduce the size of the time and date overlay and it will have fewer issues.

Nomad

[ New ]
Well, that appears to have worked.
I do rarely use this resolution and framerate, though it is quite good for capturing lightning.
GoPro

[ New ]
High frame rate and that large text overlay, makes the camera work very hard. Happy it is solved.
Hiker

[ New ]

This problem has returned unfortunately, with additional problems (in another thread https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Randomly-not-turning-on-properly/m-p/1262119).  

More findings

- the video stops within the 1st minute, but its still recording, the audio can be heard

- no amount of formatting of card works now, even with new ones

- speed tests show show 235mbps above so its seems not the card anymore, 

- the video freeze happens even when not recording, just power on and in a few seconds the video freeze on screen, but the touch screen still works, and i'm able to go to the playback menu, then back to the initial screen it works again, then freeze again after a few secs

- it even froze after the 7th speed test, so i go to the playback menu, then back to the initial screen to continue.

- though in the other thread (link above) say i went back to latest standard firmware, i reinstalled Labs after the power on issues disappeared again as i was going for a run, and all the above issues were observed afterwards

- so, using the same SD card, i updated the camera back to latest standard firmware....  the video freeze issue is still there, regardless of card used.  Everything below is based on standard firmware

- my standard settings - 4K/25fps, Linear+HL, Hypersmooth High, Hindsight off, Bit Rate High, Shutter Auto, EV Comp -0.5, White Balance 4500K, ISO 100-6400, Sharpness High, Color GoPro, Raw Audio Off, Wind Auto

- switched to lower res 1080/25fps - same issue

- switched to bit rate standard - same issue

- switched to 4k/25fps, linear - same issue

- switched to 4k/25fps, hypersmooth off/linear - same issue

- switched to 1080/25fps, standard bit rate, linear, hypersmooth off - no issue! managed to up to almost 5 mins.  or lucky?

- switched back everything to my standard settings - issue returned quickly

- swtched again to the lesser demanding settings - same issue (guess was just really lucky initially)

- retained this less demanding setting - no issue up to 5 mins... so random, but the settings seem to help reduce the occurrence but not totally eliminate it

The odd thing is, just last week, I was able to record my trail walk continuously with no issue in 4K/25fps, just delayed a bit by the power on issue.  Minimal issues in the first 6 months or so i had this, always on my standard settings.

Will contact support to see if what they can do for this.  

GoPro

[ New ]
Sounds like a support issue now, that camera seems to have developed a fault.
Sightseer

[ New ]

I am having a problem with the gopro 9 randomly stop recording. any suggestions??

GoPro

[ New ]

Format your SD card, or replace it.

Hiker

[ New ]
Disable wireless connectivity in GOPRO.