Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Hiker

Hero 8 Charging

[ New ]

Any way to create a code to enable the camera to charge while recording? Like the Hero 4. I do motorcycle touring and on my 4 I could record all day on 1080P even up to 4K for the most part except for stopping recording when fueling. No issues. The 8 I can't do that. It won't charge and record. So the battery will run out. My only other option is to connect power cord and pull battery. Then I have to shut the camera down everytime I am going to turn the bike off. Then back on and reconnect the remote. PITA. I'm starting to really hate this 8 and am grasping for straws to keep to the standard of a Hero 4 that I have been running for years. 

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 8 Charging

[ New ]

@scubadvr01 wrote:

Any way to create a code to enable the camera to charge while recording? Like the Hero 4. I do motorcycle touring and on my 4 I could record all day on 1080P even up to 4K for the most part except for stopping recording when fueling. No issues. The 8 I can't do that. It won't charge and record. So the battery will run out. My only other option is to connect power cord and pull battery. Then I have to shut the camera down everytime I am going to turn the bike off. Then back on and reconnect the remote. PITA. I'm starting to really hate this 8 and am grasping for straws to keep to the standard of a Hero 4 that I have been running for years. 

My Hero 8 charges while recording. I just finished a seven hour time lapse on a battery pack. Pack kept the GoPro topped off until it ran dry. Then the GoPro battery took over.

Bill

Nomad

[ New ]
The Hero 8 does not have to be charged at all, but if I supply it externally with power, it should ALWAYS be reliably supplied from there! No matter whether with or without an internal battery, whether only in standby or during recording, no matter when I connect the external battery to the Hero8!
But it doesn't even work, the next time the external supply is ignored, then the Hero8 gets hot again and switches off. Then you have to remove the battery ...
The behavior seems random and I predictable!
Hiker

[ New ]

My only experience with running the internal battery with a external power pack connected is the camera battery has to be slightly below 100% (98% should be fine) otherwise the power pack turns off due to the regulator most power packs have built into them. Heat has never been an issue but that could be down to the fact  I'm in the UK.

Adventurer

[ New ]

The Hero 8  camera does not charge while recording you can test yours out post up, since this is about adding  a QR code in to enable the  switch, we love to see more  switches released to control, but I am sure this is limited to the amount allowed.    Does the Hero 4 black  charge while recording, I have to receck mine.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif