Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Hiker

Gopro Labs and video corruption issues

[ New ]

Not sure if these things are related or not.

I record 4k 60fps while riding a mountain bike.  Chest mount, everything was working fine.

A couple weeks ago, I updated to Gopro Labs firmware.  I had a ride where my remote said it was recording, but when I downloaded with Quik, I had several videos of 27k, and they would not open.

Then I started getting alot more overheating issues, Quik not launching or recognizing the camera, and the recordings are sometimes broken up into mp4 and wav files.

Anyone else seeing video corruption issues?  Any way I can get an error log/diagnostic to see what is going on?

thanks in advance

larry

GoPro

Re: Gopro Labs and video corruption issues

[ New ]
It seems unlikely to be Labs related, unless you are doing Labs functions with your capture -- overlay burnins or motion detection, both increase the camera load. Also both are not 4K60 compatible, so that is not likely the cause. If you are not using any Labs custom mode, just regular video, then Labs functions should be completely dormant. 

You have audio recording WAV files?  4K60 + WAV will be the most demanding camera mode, so I would look at the SD card, to see if it is handling it.  Those tiny 27kB captures seem like the SD couldn't handle the load. 

However, I'm not in support, I can only really help with Labs issues, and this isn't typical for Labs.
Hiker

[ New ]

Only labs thing I was doing was switching modes with QR codes. (i really like this feature btw)

the WAV files were happening with the 4k30 mode I was in today.  I had been recording in 4k60 w/ only overheating issues, so went to 4k30 today.

attached is the mode I was in. 

I'll go research the SD card and put it in a std mode and see if issue repeats.

thanks for the reply Dan.

4k30 mode.JPG
GoPro

[ New ]

Yep, nothing wrong with that command.  It is a lot hotter here in the last week or so, not sure 4k60 would recorder normally for too long in these weather conditions.  

Tourist

[ New ]

hi guys, 

Would recording 2.7k in 60 fps cause the gopro 8 to have corruption issues? I was recording today and I seem to have three corrupt files. It might have been because of the heat of the day... maybe it was too long a recording? The only labs functions I am using are the name your gopro one and larger file sizes....

I am also get glitches in the recordings that do work. I'd love some help and advice if you guys can help.

Cheers

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the detailed feedback.  Both the camera naming and larger chapter size features do not add load to the camera's operation, so these are not contributors to glitches. This is likely a question for general support, as I can only answer questions more directly Labs related. This is not a normal experience for Labs firmwared cameras; all my cameras a Labs enabled, for longer than there is been a public release, no glitches.  Heat is a likely factor, so it is either an SD card failure or camera failure. Experiment with another SD card brand, and contact regular support if glitches continue.

Hiker

[ New ]

HI, I have done 2 rides since posting this message, without issue.

I did change to 4k30 for my recording and no raw audio.

I also have used 2 different SD cards since then.  Later this week, I plan on running a 4k60 w/ raw audio to see if I overheat and get corrupted videos. 

The card I was using  was a SanDisk Extreme (UHS-1 U3 / V30) A2 128GB, then i tried a new card same model.

I also purchased a SanDisk Extreme PRO (UHS-1 U3 / V30) A2 256GB so I can do my 4k60 test. 

I will post if I get more errors, but as Dan initially suggested, it looks like a SD card problem.