Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Tourist

GoPro powers off by itself after accepting QR code, but won't wake up at set time using a power pack

[ New ]

Problem as stated in title.

Background -

I have taken lots of (overnight) time lapses with this power pack WITH battery inserted, and it worked fine (since January) until about a week or so ago, when it stopped using the powerpack, and only used what was on the battery and then stopped.

I looked for solutions here and tried without the battery as was suggested to someone (despite it working fine WITH batter before), and it worked just with power pack. This was with starting the recording manually.

Now, I'm testing with the new firmware (GoPro Labs) to see if I can get longer time lapses with the power pack connected for power, starting at a set time, via QR code.

What happens is - I have the battery pack connected via USB to the GoPro, I scan the code with it, it accpets it and tells me when the recording is set to start, and then it automatically powers off (to wait for the starting time, apparently).

Problem is - it will NOT wake up to start recording.

I tried setting the QR code so that the camera and the screen are set to NEVER turn off - to keep it powered up, but even that won't keep it going.

I've tried to look for a solution in the threads here, but haven't found one.

What do I need to have for the camera to power back on to start recording when connected to the power pack?

GoPro

Re: GoPro powers off by itself after accepting QR code, but won't wake up at set time using a power

[ New ]
Steps to follow:

1) Remove the battery and plug-in external power.
 3) Then set the QR Code to do long timelapse.

It will work correctly.
It is now 2pm (14:00), practice with a 14:10 start.  It will work.

A failure is normal as the time was wrong, or the power was added after the wake timer was set (plugging in external power resets the wake alarm.)

> I tried setting the QR code so that the camera and the screen are set to NEVER turn off - to keep it powered up, but even that won't keep it going.

That is correct.  The QR command told the camera to sleep, those camera settings are for inactive camera behaviors (they don't apply.)
Tourist

Re: GoPro powers off by itself after accepting QR code, but won't wake up at set time using a power

[ New ]

I was so hopeful it would work, but nope; I tried twice, once for video, once for time lapse. No dice.

No battery inserted, just power bank connected to get QR time code and then QR code for delayed start. It takes the code, shows me when it will start, shuts off, and never wakes up.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the power bank, that it's not "active", and the camera can't wake it up.

Thoughts?

GoPro

[ New ]

Totally the power bank failure. 

Did you read?

Solutions for Using External Lithium Ion USB Batteries

As stated above, most Lithium Ion USB power-banks will shut-off early, even when the camera still needs the power. A select few USB battery sources include an “always on feature” designed for time-lapse projects. Example:voltaicsystems.com/v50 This one can even solar recharge the battery at the same time.

The second option is a USB keep alive device that prevents your USB power bank from shutting down. Examples: from sotabeams.co.uk and from tindie.com

GoPro

[ New ]
Tourist

[ New ]

I actually just read those before I found your reply.

I'm going to have to figure out how to proceed from here.

Thank You!

Hiker

[ New ]

To solve the issue with a power bank auto shutting off because of no current demand -- I use a switched power bank .. .. A TallentCell. I use this for a game cam that I converted to external power -- So far so good. Perhaps this a solution for you.

Tourist

[ New ]

Superdunner - I appreciate you chiming in!

I will look into it.

I just tested the setup, and if I have something else connected to the power bank, it will power on the camera when needed, so I can use that as a workaround for now till I get something simple and reliable.

BTW, I'm running two game cameras, too, but since mine are just out in the pasture I'm fine with just switching [reusable] batteries when I need to.