Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Labs
Hiker

GoPro Labs and Max Lens Mod compatible?

[ New ]

Is GoPro Labs compatible with wthe Max Lens Mod?

I had been using labs for a while now, and just got my Max Lens.  Tried it out on both Superview and Wide with Horizon Lock setup.

Playback in camera is good.  Playback on my Win10 laptop is good, best stabilization I've seen so far.

When I loaded the footage on Adobe Premiere Elements timeline, its like an old analogue television with a fuzzy signal (see pic) on playback.

I tried it out on Garmin Virb Edit, I can see the image but there's green bars on the bottom and right hand side, which I was able to fix by changing the video decoder to ffmpeg.  Though I havent tried exporting out yet.

adobe prem elem - max mod.JPG

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: GoPro Labs and Max Lens Mod compatible?

[ New ]

Labs doesn't change video modes in any way. This seems to be a bug in Elements (and Virb Edit), although Premiere Pro and nearly everything else works fine.

I gather this error is happening in one of the 2.7K modes. These aren't common resolutions, although GoPro has shipped products with these resolutions for a large number of years, so Adobe should have this correct. In particular the 2.7K 4:3 mode is encoded as 2704x2028 using HEVC, HEVC is new to some editors. HEVC supports larger 32x32 macroblocks, so the internal encoded image size is 2720x2048; if the editing tool doesn't understand output resolution can be different than the internal structure, it will screw the image up (editor bug.) 

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Labs doesn't change video modes in any way. This seems to be a bug in Elements (and Virb Edit), although Premiere Pro and nearly everything else works fine.

I gather this error is happening in one of the 2.7K modes. These aren't common resolutions, although GoPro has shipped products with these resolutions for a large number of years, so Adobe should have this correct. In particular the 2.7K 4:3 mode is encoded as 2704x2028 using HEVC, HEVC is new to some editors. HEVC supports larger 32x32 macroblocks, so the internal encoded image size is 2720x2048; if the editing tool doesn't understand output resolution can be different than the internal structure, it will screw the image up (editor bug.) 

Hiker

[ New ]

@0dan0 wrote:

Thanks.  Just tested and confirmed, it is because of the 2.7K mode.  Went down to 1440 and 1080 and no problem with the Max Lens Mod on.  The Garmin Virb though does encode at 2.7K, just need to use the right 2.7K decoder to make the green bars disappear.